Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 136
Confused about teleconverters...

Hello all. Perhaps there is a thread relating to this somewhere, but I didn't find it. I'm new to the system and have a question, if anyone's around to answer it.

I'm looking at grabbing the DA* 300mm f4. I was hoping that there would be a 1.4x teleconverter I could use with it, and I see people talking about Pentax potentially releasing one at some point (not sure why they don't have one already...). But is there a teleconverter currently on the market that will work with the lens (and allow AF)?
AF would be crucial for me and I wouldn't be interested if it didn't. Unless it was somehow high quality/very low price.

If anyone could enlighten me on the available teleconverters and their pros/cons/abilities, that would be super awesome.

02-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
skunktail's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, NSW
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 287
Hi There,
I use a Kenko teleconverter (2x, not the 1.4 though) and autofocus works perfectly and it's supposed to fit most lenses.
I can physically fit it to almost anything but I have only used it with film cameras and relatively cheap lenses so I can't give you a quantified idea of the image quality. I do know it doesn't show up in EXIF data.

Like all teleconverters, the light to the sensor decreases by one stop and get the best converter you can, there's plenty of previous threads on this subject if you look around.
F4 is probably about as slow as I would go using a teleconverter. The Pro 300 would be your best bet in the Kenko line.

Also, check out the teleconverter section in the lens reviews (if you haven't already done so).

Hope this helps somewhat

Bruce
02-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,770
Yes, sort of. There a few TC's that pass through the SDM contacts and work with that lens. AFAIK, none are currently in production. Here is a link to one of them: Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x Teleplus SHQ Teleconverter Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Note that there are lots of TC's with similar names and not all of them work. So take care if you are buying one, particularly as the seller may not know the difference.

Pentax has an SDM TC on the road map, for possible release in 2013. But no release date or announcement.
02-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
kev.pride's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Modbury North, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 347
Tamron 1.4 TC with the PZ contacts (Same as SDM) is an excellent TC however it is hard to come by and now quite expensive. Sorry I sold mine.

Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

02-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 136
Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the responses, all! It's a bit of a bummer that Pentax hasn't released one yet. I've looked for a few of the listed ones but with no luck. Eh, I'll find one someday, or hopefully Pentax will actually release it this year.

Thanks so much for your input.
02-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Bob from Aus's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,085
QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
I use a Kenko teleconverter (2x, not the 1.4 though) and autofocus works perfectly and it's supposed to fit most lenses. I can physically fit it to almost anything but I have only used it with film cameras and relatively cheap lenses so I can't give you a quantified idea of the image quality. I do know it doesn't show up in EXIF data.
I have 4 TCs and none work and none work on my SDM lenses even though they have the contacts. I have pulled the lenses out of one to use as an extension tube. The pentax TC is coming out this year. I am certain it won't be cheap, but it should be very high quality and work.
02-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 3,198
None of the past and current 2X TCs, no matter what brand, no matter whether it has the electrical contacts, works with SDM lenses.

The Tamron 1.4X and the Kento 1.5X with electrical contacts kind of work with SDM lenses. "Kind of" because AF hunts a lot.

The only TC that works reliably is Pentax 1.7X AFA.
02-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 121
QuoteOriginally posted by zdwagner Quote
Hello all. Perhaps there is a thread relating to this somewhere, but I didn't find it. I'm new to the system and have a question, if anyone's around to answer it.

I'm looking at grabbing the DA* 300mm f4. I was hoping that there would be a 1.4x teleconverter I could use with it, and I see people talking about Pentax potentially releasing one at some point (not sure why they don't have one already...). But is there a teleconverter currently on the market that will work with the lens (and allow AF)?
AF would be crucial for me and I wouldn't be interested if it didn't. Unless it was somehow high quality/very low price.

If anyone could enlighten me on the available teleconverters and their pros/cons/abilities, that would be super awesome.
The Tamron 1.4 Pz-Af will work on the DA 300mm f/4.0 in the sense that the lens will try to autofocus and sometimes succeed. But there is a lot of hunting. I don't find it a satisfactory combo. The Pentax 1.7 TC will work on anything, including the DA 300, but you have to prefocus manually and IQ takes a noticeable hit. In general, you're going to find that cropping provides better results than a TC. The exception for me is the Sigma 500mm and Sigma or Tamron 1.4 TC in perfect conditions (good light, stationary subject, and shooting off a tripod).

02-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
FYI the Kenko PZ 1.5 mentioned above has the contacts but AF was unreliable when I tested it with my DA*300.

The TC worked awesome with screw driven lenses.
02-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 3,198
Look at the title of the thread: Confused about teleconverters...

How can one NOT get confused with conflicting replies like these:

QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
I use a Kenko teleconverter (2x, not the 1.4 though) and autofocus works perfectly and it's supposed to fit most lenses.
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yes, sort of. There a few TC's that pass through the SDM contacts and work with that lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
Tamron 1.4 TC with the PZ contacts (Same as SDM) is an excellent TC however it is hard to come by and now quite expensive.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I have 4 TCs and none work and none work on my SDM lenses even though they have the contacts.
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
None of the past and current 2X TCs, no matter what brand, no matter whether it has the electrical contacts, works with SDM lenses.

The Tamron 1.4X and the Kento 1.5X with electrical contacts kind of work with SDM lenses. "Kind of" because AF hunts a lot..
QuoteOriginally posted by oeriies Quote
The Tamron 1.4 Pz-Af will work on the DA 300mm f/4.0 in the sense that the lens will try to autofocus and sometimes succeed. But there is a lot of hunting. I don't find it a satisfactory combo.
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
FYI the Kenko PZ 1.5 mentioned above has the contacts but AF was unreliable when I tested it with my DA*300.
I bet you there are people saying something but having never actually experienced it.
02-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 136
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I bet you there are people saying something but having never actually experienced it.
Heh, honestly it is kind of funny. While I'm not a Pentax aficionado, I'm also not an idiot, so of course before I posted this I did quite a few searches for teleconverters, and it's definitely a daunting task. In the face of all this, I think I'm going to wait and see if Pentax decide to release their TC this year. I'd certainly buy it, and I think there are a lot of people who agree. Doesn't seem like a hard thing to manufacture (compared to a more complicated lens, anyway). And I think that Pentax could make money on it as it seems like at this point, the people who want it are going to buy it almost regardless of price. Here's hoping they get it made.
02-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I bet you there are people saying something but having never actually experienced it.
I speak from experience. The Kenko 1.5 PzAF will not give satisfactory AF operation with a DA*300.

That is the only one I have owned/tested and the only one I will speak about.
02-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Bob from Aus's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,085
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Look at the title of the thread: Confused about teleconverters...
We obviously all agree with zdwagner - its dam confusung
02-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,770
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Look at the title of the thread: Confused about teleconverters... How can one NOT get confused with conflicting replies like these:
I guess that clearly defines the current state of teleconverters in Pentax world................
02-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member
DaveHolmes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 1,501
In another thread (possibly a review) someone stated that the Pentax-F 1.7 AF Converter "is not a teleconverter"... That confused the hell out of me
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, camera, pentax help, photography, teleconverter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
confused about Sigma 17-50 jkglogau Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 02-15-2013 03:25 PM
Confused about circular polarizers thechumpen Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 10-31-2012 07:53 AM
Confused about flashes... (not flashers!) Damian.T Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 4 12-07-2011 09:33 AM
Confused about reviews Clavius Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 06-08-2011 09:51 AM
confused about lenses - still! slr_neophyte Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 15 05-25-2011 06:14 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:56 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top