Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #1

Higher capacity K-r Battery?

Hi, has anyone tried a higher capacity D-Li109 battery and had problems with compatibility with the K-r?
I read that some K-r's get the mirror flop / slap issue with the OEM battery due to a possible voltage problem with it's firmware.

The OEM Battery is 1050mAh 7.4V and the battery I would like to get is an Opteka D-Li109 2000mAh 7.4V.

Does anyone know of any issuers with the higher capacity battery?

Thanks.

02-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does your camera have that problem? And I think I remember reports of people experiencing that problem with third party batteries as well. Though, not sure what their specs were.
Wow, just googled and got a result on amazon for a "Wasabi power battery", it specifically claims to be better than original Pentax battery and has a 77% discount lol
I wouldn't bother buying a different battery before actually experiencing the problem. On the other hand, if you want to have a second battery, go right ahead. I've had my K-r for some time now and no problems
02-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Would using an AA battery adapter and Sanyo Eneloops do better? I don't know how they compare with the OEM battery for reliability and how long they can hold a charge on the K-r. I do know they work very well with the K100D.
02-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both for the replies.

What actually happened is the seller I bought from lost the original battery before sending the camera out and is offering to buy me a replacement since the battery was supposed to be included.

The 2000 and the 1050 are almost the same price and I'd like the higher capacity if it won't cause problems.

I haven't been able to see if it has the flop issue since I don't have a battery.

02-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I use generic replacements (I'm not sure they are anymore powerful) and they've been fine. I rotate between the original and the 2 generics I have. I've had my K-r since Sept 2011.
02-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CircaM Quote
Thank you both for the replies.

What actually happened is the seller I bought from lost the original battery before sending the camera out and is offering to buy me a replacement since the battery was supposed to be included.

The 2000 and the 1050 are almost the same price and I'd like the higher capacity if it won't cause problems.

I haven't been able to see if it has the flop issue since I don't have a battery.

Sent from Tapatalk 2.
Capacity is sort of immaterial. Voltage and maximum discharge rate are what counts. And I doubt that discharge rate will vary that much between two LiON batteries. All capacity means is the number of shots you can get off a battery.

I suspect the reason so many of us prefer eneloops AA batteries over LiON batteries is three fold...
#1- eneloops often have greater capacity (more shots per battery set)
#2- all rechargeable batteries can be recharged only so many times - eneloops can be recharged more times than the stock LiON before they are worn out.
#3- eneloops have a MUCH lower self-discharge rate. Turning this around, a LiON battery will lose more of its charge faster sitting in your camera bag or on the shelf than will eneloop batteries.

So far as I am concerned, the only advantage one LiON battery has over a set of 4 eneloop batteries is weight.