Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K5 with Metz 52 AF-1 flash

Can anyone help...I have just bought a Metz Mecablitz 52 AF-1 flash for use with a Pentax K5.

I think I am reasonably competent with the K5 but have no experience of using flash with any camera

I have used the flash attached to the camera but the results even with bounced flash are not great......no doubt with practice things will improve to a point.

I have also used the Metz flash on a tripod with brolly and remote flash, with the camera flash also firing (Metz call this the Remote Slave mode). The results are much better but again I am in need of much more practice.

My preference however would be to use the Metz flash as a remote without the camera flash firing (Metz call this the Remote Master mode) but despite following the set up procedure I cannot get this set up to work. Am I missing something or does the K5 / Metz combination not allow this function?

I have to say I do not find the Metz instruction manual particularly helpful, it seems to assume a level of experience / understanding of terminology which I don't yet have.

Also can anyone recommend any good online tutorials / books to improve my flash technique...starting at a basic level?

Many thanks.

ikongraphics

02-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ikongraphics Quote
I have used the flash attached to the camera but the results even with bounced flash are not great......no doubt with practice things will improve to a point.
"Not great" in what sense?

I don't have this camera + flash combination. But I think with the flash attached to the camera, in p-TTL or Auto (thyristor) mode, you should at least get decent exposure.

QuoteOriginally posted by ikongraphics Quote
My preference however would be to use the Metz flash as a remote without the camera flash firing (Metz call this the Remote Master mode) but despite following the set up procedure I cannot get this set up to work. Am I missing something or does the K5 / Metz combination not allow this function?
I don't think current technology allows "to use the Metz flash as a remote without the camera flash firing." This applies to any camera/flash of any brand/model.

Unless you use RF remote flash control (e.g. Yongnuo RF-602)

Read this thread (and the thread it refers to).
03-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #3

Hello!
How is going on your experience with this flash?
03-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Forum Member

Metz flash slave

I have a Metz 58 AF2 for my K-5. The flash can be used in slave mode without the camera flash contributing to the photo. This is set on camera in Custom Menu 3 #21 "Flash in wireless mode". Set this to 2 "off". There will be a pre flash, which is how the camera communicates with the remote flash. It works pretty well in line of sight, as long as the flash can "see" the camera flash. That should work the same with the 52 AF1. Otherwise, use wireless triggers. Cactus v5's are reasonably priced and effective, although you don't get P-TTL. Makes me use M mode like I should.

03-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stens Quote
I have a Metz 58 AF2 for my K-5. The flash can be used in slave mode without the camera flash contributing to the photo.
I guess it is your turn to be disillusioned as I was. You need to add the the following qualifier to your claim: "as much". In truth, even in controller mode (option 2), the flash will STILL contribute SOME light to the exposure when triggering another P-TTL flash wirelessly. It isn't much, but it is there.

The proof came from SOldBear. Set a mirror in front of your camera and the wirelessly connected flash so both can be seen in your viewfinder. Put your camera in controller mode and take a picture. You will see a flash from both units in the image. The only way that could happen is if your camera's flash triggered while the shutter is open. Ruined my whole day, let me tell you.

The solution is to block the direct path of the visible light between the built-in flash and your subject. I've been told you can achieve this with a sharp-cut IR filter, taping a piece of exposed and developed film over the flash (I haven't tested either), or buying something like this:
Aokatec A N1 IR Panel F Build in Flash F Nikon Canon Pentax Olympus SG 3IR | eBay
03-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
The proof came from SOldBear..... Ruined my whole day, let me tell you.
You're welcome, Jim.
03-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Forum Member

I wouldn't say "disillusioned", rather "informed". Thanks for the correction, and my apologies for relating incorrect information.

I was liking my initial results with off camera. If part of that is unintended on-camera fill, it works for me. Quite frankly, I'm so new at the flash aspects of this, that I'm experimenting like crazy. Once I know what I'm doing (assuming, of course, that someday in the far future I WILL know what I'm doing), then I'll quite possibly be disillusioned, as we're you. I suspect that it's the knowledgable, experienced photographers who are disillusioned, which should tell what category of photographer I'm not in.

For indoor work, I'm currently mostly using the Metz on-camera with a flag ("black foamie thing"). I like the results, and lack of set up for casual shots. Off camera, I'm using radio triggers, so I'll probably not be affected by the on camera strobing.