Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #1

very dark or black shots through viewfinder

Hi all, asarelatively new DSLR user, I find now that shots taken through the viewfinder are black. Shots taken through the digital screen are fine. What may be the issue? Thanks

02-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you mean that when you look through the viewfinder, you see black specks? Example: Dust

Or do these spots actually show up in the photos you are taking? Could you post some pictures
02-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
Do you mean that when you look through the viewfinder, you see black specks? Example: Dust

Or do these spots actually show up in the photos you are taking? Could you post some pictures
No, the viewfinder see everything fine, but it is only a black screen when downloaded or viewed?
02-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by camera shy Quote
Hi all, asarelatively new DSLR user, I find now that shots taken through the viewfinder are black. Shots taken through the digital screen are fine. What may be the issue? Thanks
What camera? What lens? What mode?

02-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hi, the camera is a K-x. The lens is an 18-55.The Mode was initially AV, but now I cannot dial up any mode other than AV or M. It does not change when I rotate the dial
02-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, for some reason the camera cannot see the lens. On some lenses that is because the aperture ring was taken off of A mode. But your lens does not have an aperture ring. That behavior is indicative of the camera thinking a manual lens is attached.

Try taking off the lens and cleaning the contacts on both the lens and the camera with a microfiber cloth. Then try it again. Make sure the lens mounted all the way.
02-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Ok, for some reason the camera cannot see the lens. On some lenses that is because the aperture ring was taken off of A mode. But your lens does not have an aperture ring. That behavior is indicative of the camera thinking a manual lens is attached.

Try taking off the lens and cleaning the contacts on both the lens and the camera with a microfiber cloth. Then try it again. Make sure the lens mounted all the way.
ok, thanks for that, when I removed the lens I find the black plastic ring is broken.Is this part of the lens or just a contact spacer?
02-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ok, thanks for that, when I removed the lens I find the black plastic ring is broken.Is this part of the lens or just a contact spacer?
Picture would be good to tell for sure but that sounds bad. There is no spacer, the lens should sll be in one piece. Do you have access to another lens to test?

02-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks jatrax, looks like a trip to the repair store....thanks for your help
02-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks jatrax, looks like a trip to the repair store....thanks for your help
Glad to, though sorry it worked out like it did. Often all it takes is a bit of cleaning on the contacts to make that go away.

Just FYI but getting that lens repaired may not be cost effective. I would price out what a new or used one costs before committing to a repair bill. They are often available on the marketplace here (or on ebay) for a very reasonable cost. I assume no warranty on it?
02-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just noticed someone listed an 18-55 in the marketplace here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/216532-sale-p...ra-camera.html

Not me and I don't know the seller but $75 plus shipping might be the same or less than a repair.
02-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Where are you located, you can get a used 18-55 at Henry's outlet store in Mississauga Ontario for 39.99