Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Metering with Exposure Compensation button on k-x: Necessary with my F lens?

Hi all. I used several manual lens on my k-x for a couple of years, learning how to use the camera. I learned to use the Exposure Compensation button to let it set an appropriate shutter speed in place of using the light meter. Last spring I bought a SMC F 50 1.7 from KEH, and I continued to use the button to check for correct exposure. Now I'm wondering -- should this lens be able to work with the light meter, or am I doing it the right way for this lens? Would appreciate any help...

02-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax F 50mm f/1.7 is my go to lens for a lot of things. It should (and does for me) work perfectly with the camera. It is not a manual lens and functions exactly the same as any new modern lens. That said, no reason you cannot use the button to set exposure, you just don't have to.
02-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
A Pentax F-series lens can use the full capabilities of your K-X. That includes all exposure modes (so long as you put the aperture ring in 'A' position), and auto-focus. There is no reason to use the Exposure Compensation button on a routine basis for stop-down metering, unless you want to.
02-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #4

Original Poster
Wow, it only took almost a year for that to occur to me. Thanks for the answer!!