Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd go with a K-r or K-x (basically the same camera) and have money left to buy some lenses. But that's just me. You won't go wrong with whatever you pick, really.

02-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #17

Original Poster
Right guys, three options! -

1. Pentax k-5 for £410 (like $610) body only, bought last year 4k actuations
2. Pentax k-30 for £380, 400 actuations (black)
3. Pentax k-30 for £370 like new (with DA L 18-55mm lens - WHITE!)

Any thoughts? I feel like the last deal is pretty awesome, I can always replace the DA L lens, and the white actually attracts me due to the more relaxed look.
02-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
All 3 bodiesare weathersealed. For the last one the DA L is not WR, but is will still allow nice pictures. I know I've taken good ones with the kit lens. Later on you can get an 18-135 WR is you want to shoot out in the weather, or, possibly sell that kit lens and pick up an 18-55 WR which is optically the same, just with weather sealing. You really couldn't go wrong with any of the choices you have there though.
02-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #19

Original Poster
Ah, the WR 18-55 shoots the same? It's just waterproof? I'm definitely looking to get a good prime, probably a 35mm or so too. I think I'll learn on this cheap DA L, sell it for peanuts and buy a 18-55mm/18-135mm WR lens.

02-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tobinobin Quote
Right guys, three options! - [...]
3. Pentax k-30 for £370 like new (with DA L 18-55mm lens - WHITE!)

Any thoughts? I feel like the last deal is pretty awesome, I can always replace the DA L lens, and the white actually attracts me due to the more relaxed look.
All good choices. Buy the one that attracts you. Technical qualities aside, I think it's important that the object "speaks" to you, that you feel drawn to it somehow...
02-26-2013, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I will chime in again. As you can see, many of us gave very different opinions. That tells you that every possible choice is correct from some point of view. Pick the one that speaks to your heart, and never regret it. You are trying to choose the right answer, but they are all right answers!
02-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I will chime in again. As you can see, many of us gave very different opinions. That tells you that every possible choice is correct from some point of view. Pick the one that speaks to your heart, and never regret it. You are trying to choose the right answer, but they are all right answers!
Agree, at those prices you won't go wrong. You got difference answers based our individual needs and experience. Now you have to chose for yourself.

02-26-2013, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #23

Original Poster
I chose the last deal guys! I'll probably sell the kit lens and buy a WR version, plus buy a few old primes to mess about with to start. Thanks for everyone's opinions, you've been very helpful!
02-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #24

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I chose the last deal guys! I'll probably sell the kit lens and buy a WR version, plus buy a few old primes to mess about with to start. Thanks for everyone's opinions, you've been very helpful!
Enjoy your new gear, you'll have a great time with it.
02-27-2013, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #25

I just bought a K-5 with an 18-135 a couple of weeks ago as my first DSLR, navigating the menus and features is very intuitive, I'm still exploring the capabilities of the camera, but I am very pleased with the images I have captured so far. I highly recommend this camera, it's a real joy to use!
03-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to have a K-5, having first purchased a K-r last September. Once the K-r is paid for, I will be free to purchase another camera body. Meanwhile, my growing lens collection will still work for my next Pentax purchase.
03-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anyone have any thoughts on the K-30? I can find a display model for $50 less than a used (only 4000 actuations, bought last year) Pentax K-5. Main things that attract me are: lesser weight, better AF in normal and low light, better video, focus speed and a newer build in general. I'm not sure how much I really need the titanium build, top lcd display etc of a K-5...anyone want to chip in?
I've had the K-30 since last July and absolutely love it. When I got it I was a little nervous that I would miss the top LCD that I had on the K20D, but I haven't missed it at all. The features of the K-30 and K5 are similar in may features and are different in a few. I did the comparisons when I bought and the K-30 made more sense for me. The focus peaking is quite a feature in itself. I love the small size and deep grip while still fitting my fat fingers. I don't think the K-30 will make you feel like you are missing anything, it's loaded for a mid level DSLR. And if you can swing that 18-135WR, it's a killer combo.

You can find some excellent deals on the K-30 and K5 new, it's nice to have a warranty.
03-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #28

I've used the K-01, the K-5 and now own the K-5II. As someone previously wrote, as your first DSLR, anything will put a smile on your face, as the technology has come such a long way... That said, once you catch the bug, you'll probably want to step-up, and unless you want to camera hop in a year's time I'd suggest the K-5. They're being cleared out right now, and are a smokin' good deal! I bought the 18-55 and 50-200 kit lenses, but now that I know more, I'd just get the 18-135 kit lens which is solid but not flashy. Once you start figuring it all out, grab some sweet manual lenses and voila! A super kit, with longeivity at a decent(ish) price.

Failing that, I'd get the k-01 with the 40xs ( I don't have one, but I keep buying them as gifts for friends!) and then get some jiggy old glass.

Good luck!
03-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
If it's your firs SLR, anything will be fine until you understand what YOU will do with it. I tried a Nikon and hated the ergonomics. I like Canon even less. Pentax has better ergonomics for me. Makes my shooting more enjoyable.

Also, a K-R with some nice glass will be more rewarding than a K-5 with a kit lens. If I were just starting out, and had a fixed amount of money to spend, I'd get that K-R, an 18-55 kit lens, and the DA35mm f2.4. Use that for a year, then you will know what you really need/want. You could get something even older cheaper and get your feet wet. I still have my k-x, and it takes really fine photos. Those are like $200-$250 used. A bargain for sure.

If you have more money, the K-5 (or K-30) is nicer, but in ways you probably won't need or appreciate for awhile. You need to get comfortable with the basics: exposure, lighting, composition. If you buy the k-r kit and have money left over, put it in the bank until you know how you would best use it.
Agree with Kozlok...
before buying my first DSLR i went out and try to hold/test grip the cameras (all brand)... Pentax brand are way ahead for me, just go out there and try for yourself (some are bulky, plasticky, cheap... mouth zipped) compared to Pentax build... But a few weeks ago ive tried a friend's camera (popular brand) and seems a lot better in terms of IQ compared to my K5 (sorry guys just being objective)...

Anyway, if i were you i would choose a basic camera with better glass than go straight to K5/K30 with kit (i highly suggest K-X... very good IQ and good for high ISO as well). I suggest for you to try prime lenses (if you can manage Manual better for you to learn the basics first)...

If you ever chose primes over zooms you have to know which focal you prefer first for you to enjoy the learning curve else you will be bored and lose interest with your focal... (i suggest go with focals from 35-40-50-55mm)...

Good luck and don't forget to share us some of your pics soon...
03-20-2013, 04:20 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Get a K20D for 200 quid, some nice glass and a manual flashgun...