Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
DA*16-50 focus problem

Probably a stupid question but here goes. I am very new to Pentax and am using a K5iis & DA*16-50. Just how quiet is this lens' focus motor? I am having to manual focus every shot. I should mention that I purchased the lens from KEH via Amazon. I believe I have the camera's setting correct and a Tokina 80-400 focuses without any problems.

Thanks for any help.

02-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LB1103 Quote
Just how quiet is this lens' focus motor?
Silent. I often check to see if it focused because I don't hear anything. But that has nothing to do with it not focusing. Can you see it focus in the viewfinder? Is the AF switch on the lens in AF?
02-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
Lens and camera are set to AF and no I can't see it focus in the viewfinder. Also, I haven't noticed if the distance scale has moved. It seems to always be on infinity.
02-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try cleaning the SDM contacts, those are the ones inside the lens mount not on the perimeter. Should be two gold buttons on a black mount. Check them on both the camera and the lens. But to be honest that's a long shot.

Is the Tokina screw drive or SDM/HSM? I'm not familiar with it.

Try moving the AF button on the lens back & forth a couple times to be sure it is all the way in the correct position.

Set focus on infinity manually then focus on something close by and see if it moves. If not I am thinking it might be defective. Sorry I cannot think of anything else.

02-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Try cleaning the SDM contacts, those are the ones inside the lens mount not on the perimeter. Should be two gold buttons on a black mount. Check them on both the camera and the lens. But to be honest that's a long shot.

Is the Tokina screw drive or SDM/HSM? I'm not familiar with it.

Try moving the AF button on the lens back & forth a couple times to be sure it is all the way in the correct position.

Set focus on infinity manually then focus on something close by and see if it moves. If not I am thinking it might be defective. Sorry I cannot think of anything else.
Thanks for your suggestions, didn't even think of cleaning the contacts. I'm on vacation and in a hotel at the moment, so testing is a bit limited. I will try again in the great outdoors tomorrow, but I have a feeling that KEH will be doing an exchange.
02-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Uh-oh... Sounds like a DoA SDM.
02-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I got exactly the same problem, I used the lens for about 2yrs. on my K5, and used it in the rain couple times, then the lens became sluggish or even won't focus, I sent it for repair and it worked again, I thought it was water caused that. Then later I dropped the lens and the camera onto the floor damaged both, I paid for the repair and replacement of the SR/sensor unit, since the lens was still under warranty back then so saved me some cost. The lens worked 90% after repair, randomly it won't focus I need to wait or reset the camera, but that wasn't a big problem and I decided to live with that. Just few days ago I bought the K3 and I put the lens to the test, it failed completely won't focus at all, but it will focus after few minutes, I need to wait every time I power on the camera, but the lens worked fine on the K5 even it won't focus on the K3 ! the K3 worked fine with non SDM lens, and I don't have other SDM to test so can't tell what went wrong. After searching the net I find it is a known problem of DA* not to focus, so I decided to save the repair cost for something new from Ricoh, I just wondering what the story of your lens after replace/repair ?

08-24-2014, 07:49 AM   #8

Same Problem here

On the K5iis the 16-50 works fine. On my K3 it has the same behaviour as "lotech" described. When I used the Sigma 17-70 HSM C on both bodys this sigma gives no problem at all.

So probably it is really a problem that the K3 doesn't recognised the 16-50 correctly. A workaround is a short switchoff of the AF. But this is not the way to work with these "Highend, Expensive" Pentax lenses. It is frustating to waste so much many. With the Sigma, which cost only one third it works fine and became my favourite replacement.

I would never buy a Pentax SDM in future, so this SDM Bug is a serious image loss. I would not advice any of my friends to buy a Pentax, even Canon & Nikon are not my favourites (Ugly & Clumpy). When I would be a newby in photography, i probably would decide for a Sony (Good Kameras and German Optics)

Hope that Ricoh will restore the IMAGE of Pentax by an Extended Repair Program and do a Callback for all the SDM lenses which has Failure. You buy such a expensive not for a period of 2 years (covered by the warranty) but more as an investment for a long term period!!!

Gérard

Last edited by Gerard_Dirks; 08-24-2014 at 07:53 AM. Reason: mistake
08-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
Same Problem here
This is a zombie thread. It is usually better and more effective to start a new thread for a technical problem. Ditto for a rant (this is, after all, a rant), though a rant does not belong here. This is the second zombie thread you have revived in the trouble shooting section for the purpose of starting a rant.

Steve
08-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
Same Problem here

On the K5iis the 16-50 works fine. On my K3 it has the same behaviour as "lotech" described. When I used the Sigma 17-70 HSM C on both bodys this sigma gives no problem at all.

So probably it is really a problem that the K3 doesn't recognised the 16-50 correctly. A workaround is a short switchoff of the AF. But this is not the way to work with these "Highend, Expensive" Pentax lenses. It is frustating to waste so much many. With the Sigma, which cost only one third it works fine and became my favourite replacement.

I would never buy a Pentax SDM in future, so this SDM Bug is a serious image loss. I would not advice any of my friends to buy a Pentax, even Canon & Nikon are not my favourites (Ugly & Clumpy). When I would be a newby in photography, i probably would decide for a Sony (Good Kameras and German Optics)

Hope that Ricoh will restore the IMAGE of Pentax by an Extended Repair Program and do a Callback for all the SDM lenses which has Failure. You buy such a expensive not for a period of 2 years (covered by the warranty) but more as an investment for a long term period!!!

Gérard
I purchased a Sigma 18-250 HSM recently for "casual use", I am not a fan of Sigma but this lens surprised me with the super silent focusing and I started to like this brand. I will not invest on any Pentax SDM any more but would like to try their new 55-300 HD WR for all weather shooting, and I hope Pentax will improve the new line with all time manual focusing like the SDM. If I change brand I will definitely go for Fujifilm, sorry but I never like Sony, I still want something from a real camera manufacturer and Fuji produces their own lens and sensor as well, this is just my opinion.
08-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMHO the Sigma 18-250 isn't even close to the 18-270 Pentax SDM, in IQ, etc. The motor is different than the other SDMs, works just fine. We have the 55-300 HDWR, great walk around tele zoom. as far as FUJI, very different business concept, blew their DSLR lead by hooking up with Nikon. Nice glass, decent boxes, dead end road map. Best paperweights in the business.
08-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I doubt the 18-270 is SDM, afaik SDM has non rotating focusing ring with full time manual override, or I will not purchase the cheaper Sigma with similar design. I dun expect high IQ on this type of lens but for convenience, and for Fuji I dun know their relationship with Nikon, I only know it has root on photography and produced lot of great cameras, but I agreed limited lens choice and slow to make.