Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #1

RS1000 - Flash doesn't work

I own a Pentax RS1000 which developed a problem after approximately 18 months use (when attempting to upload pictures to computer I get a message saying "power surge at hub port". I paid an online technician to diagnose it and he said the USB cable was the problem. I bought two new USB cables, which didn't solve my problem. Since then I've bought an identical camera used and it works fine except I can't get the flash to operate. I'm very technically challenged and sight handicapped and even with the manual, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have a limited amount of time to return the camera if it's defective. I would appreciate advice, or if need be, a recommendation of a reliable online technician. I have no problem paying by Paypal for the service.....just need help from an experienced person. Thank you.

02-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #2
Banned

san diego wedding photography: Our philosophy is to be among the best in what we do. Not because we want to prove ourselves to someone but because that is the only way to make our job even more interesting and exiting than it already is. We want to document your memories for all time because it will remain an eternal proof of our creative work and your emotionally important moment in life.
02-26-2013, 05:19 AM   #3

Original Poster
.......Which tells me nothing useful at all. I'm guessing this is why you're banned.
03-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
I guess since I'm not getting any responses (other than the SPAMmer), I'm dead in the water as far as getting this camera with the flash issue to work. Unfortunately, because the cost of Canadian postage is so high with tracking number and insurance, it's not worthwhile for me to send it back for a refund. And, the original camera, which had a "Power surge at hub port" problem, has been looked at, diagnosed as having a broken mini-USB jack in the camera body, and is not worth repairing. I'm not doing so well with Pentax products.

03-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Does your computer have a built in SD card reader? If it does, just pull the card from the camera and transfer your pics that way. Or try to find a decent external card reader.

As far as problems with the flash, I can't help you there. It could be a simple function you need to select in the menus, but if it's a hardware issue you might be able to find someone that could remove the flash unit from the first camera and switch it to the new one...maybe...
03-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, Jamfke. My computer does have a built-in card reader. I've been looking for a way not to use it because one of the two SD cards I bought (for 60.00 each) failed almost immediately when I started inserting the cards directly into the computer. (When you put the card into the camera, it displays "Card not formatted" but resists all attempts to format it, so I guess it's toast). The second card, which I've always left in the camera, and used the wire connection to the computer, has been 100% reliable for over a year. So, I'm assuming that something about the process of removing and reinstalling the first card led to it's premature failure.

I called a Pentax service depot in Vancouver, inquiring about using one camera as a donor for the other.....either using the no-flash camera as a donor for the mini-USB jack in my original camera....or, using my original camera as a donor for the flash needed by the second camera. What I was told is that the cost of either repair exceeds the new replacement cost of another camera.

I think I'm going to have to buy another new camera. Given the issues I've had with them, I'd probably opt for a different brand, but because I've already got nine batteries, three chargers, and two travel cases for the Pentax, I'm likely going to have to buy another RS1000. If I have a third Optio RS1000 fail, it'll be my last Pentax product though.

Thanks for your answer and attempting to help.