Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #1

color saturation question for k-x

New to k-x. I have been using it for a month of so now. I really like the "Portrait" program preset and get very nice pics with the DA L kit lens. However, I cannot use the program modes (that I know of) with my 50mm smc 1.4 first generation K lens. I have to use manual.

Question: can I program the camera for the same settings for this "portrait" color settings for my 50mm lens? If so, can can anyone give me a run down on how I might do this? I imagine there is a simple way to program it. If there is a page of the manual and walks me through it, that would work to.

thanks in advance.

02-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Portrait color settings can be changed in the menu: Menu>Camera>Custom Image>Portrait. What other settings the Portrait Mode sets I have no idea, never used any of the modes. The "Custom Images" settings tune the jpeg to settings that are supposed to be better for certain situations. The defaults can be tweaked if you want something a little different, though I do not think you save any additional ones.
You can also shoot in RAW and tune these yourself in software.
02-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are two portrait things on your camera. One is a Picture Mode. Your older 50mm lens won't work (well) in any mode but M so this is not an option.

The other portrait option is a Custom Image, which does work in M mode so you can use it. It's on page 194 of your manual. It applies a set of options to your image when the camera creates a JPEG file. If you shoot in RAW, you can use the Pentax Digital Camera Utility to apply the same effects to the RAW image. That would be a good way to see what the Portrait setting is doing to the histogram and image details. You can also make adjustments to the camera settings if you want, changing sharpness or whatever.

I don't have Picture Modes on my K-7 so I can't say exactly what happens in Portrait mode. The modes set the camera to do appropriate things for that type of photo, so you can figure out some of them by just knowing portrait advice. One example, use a wide aperture (lower f number). Modes affect what focus mode the camera uses, drive modes, flash usage, etc. Maybe some detective work with the kit lens and looking at the full EXIF data will show how Portrait differs from M mode. One obvious thing, it uses the Portrait custom image that you can set separately.