Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
For example my S-M-C Takumar 85/1.8. Not sure what the modern equivalent would be but I doubt I would want to pay the price.
Well, Sigma has the 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM...just $1,450. Samyang has an 85/1.4 as well. But it's manual focus and costs about the same as a Tak...

02-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Well, Sigma has the 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM...just $1,450.
Thanks but my Tak works just fine
02-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why else do you think they hold their eBay value
02-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The samyang 85/1.4 is about same price as a tak, and is 1/2 stop faster, comes with a PKA mount so all exposure modes including P-TTL flash work.

I have a s-tak 85/1.9 and the samyang 85/1.4. The samyang is every bit as good mad much more useable with today's cameras

02-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have a s-tak 85/1.9 and the samyang 85/1.4. The samyang is every bit as good mad much more useable with today's cameras
So this is essentially the same as Pentax-A lenses? Do they get identified by the camera as a separate lens, so you can do AF fine adjust?
What about coatings? Have you compared older (Takumar) coatings with what they are using? Curious if they have modern coatings and how good they are. Samyang seems to be adding quite a stable of primes to the list, and while I have plenty of lenses I wonder if this is a good route for when the Takumars dry up?

Also, wonder if these are all FF lenses?
02-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So this is essentially the same as Pentax-A lenses? Do they get identified by the camera as a separate lens, so you can do AF fine adjust?
What about coatings? Have you compared older (Takumar) coatings with what they are using? Curious if they have modern coatings and how good they are. Samyang seems to be adding quite a stable of primes to the list, and while I have plenty of lenses I wonder if this is a good route for when the Takumars dry up?

The camera will see it as an A-series lens, and it is FF.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/46479-review-s...erical-if.html

They are sold as Vivitar, Rokinon, and Bower as well...

Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Lens Reviews - Samyang Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/213014-samyang-85mm-f1-4-a.html

I still think I'm going to get a Jupiter 9 at half the price.

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-27-2013 at 12:42 PM.
02-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #37
Veteran Member

You don't really need to do AF fine adjust on a manual focus lens...

02-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
You don't really need to do AF fine adjust on a manual focus lens...
OK, I really don't believe I wrote that......... I was doing two other things at the same time so I plead old age restriction on multi-tasking.
02-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Well, in your defense, I'd guess that someone might want to go into AF fine adjust, to tune the lens' focus confirmation indicator. (I don't use my MF lenses too often, but I seem to recall that the little magic green hexagon, and catch-in-focus, works with all manual lenses.)

However, I believe that the individual lens identification started with the seventh contact on KAF-mount lenses, i.e., on FA and later lenses only. So I think you are out of luck with all KA-mount (A-series) lenses.

And looking at a photo of the Samyang mount, it's also missing the seventh contact, so it is just like an A-series, and you can't fine tune the focus confirmation or CIF for this lens either.

I guess the Samyang could have supported the seventh contact, for this reason, as well as transmitting f-stop and MTR information. Not trying to be critical or anything, I realize that you start adding too much more stuff and then next thing you know, you have ... an expensive autofocus lens.
02-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lets hit these one by one

A lenses don't get identified by the camera, that came much later.

The coatings are surprisingly good I have the samyang 8, and 14 as. Well and with these ultra wides you can point them almost into the sun, much better than my super tak

Except for the 8mm fisheye, all are ff
02-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
A lenses don't get identified by the camera, that came much later.
Thanks Lowell. I was working on something else when I typed that and it got a little disjointed. I know Pentax A lenses are identified in LR as "A Series Lens" , I was really wondering if these new Samyang "A type" lenses had the chip or whatever to identify themselves. I guess not and that's a little disappointing, the one thing I really don't like about my older lenses is they do not get identified in LR. Oh well, thanks for explaining anyway.

I wonder what the designers of the Takumar series think about Lightroom / Photoshop etc? If they had known maybe they would have put the chips in
02-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Lowell. I was working on something else when I typed that and it got a little disjointed. I know Pentax A lenses are identified in LR as "A Series Lens" , I was really wondering if these new Samyang "A type" lenses had the chip or whatever to identify themselves. I guess not and that's a little disappointing, the one thing I really don't like about my older lenses is they do not get identified in LR. Oh well, thanks for explaining anyway.

I wonder what the designers of the Takumar series think about Lightroom / Photoshop etc? If they had known maybe they would have put the chips in
if lightroom identifies A series lenses as A series, then it will also identify this as an A series lens. the A series lenses and all aperture coding was passive. pins 1 through 6 on the mount were either open or shorted to the lens base, that is all.
03-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #43

This thread has me really interested in finding a cheap Helios 44 but I'm a bit confused about all the different versions available, like 44M, 44-2, 44M-4, etc. (and the 44K-4 which I gather doesn't require an adapter but harder to find). Seems like 44-2 or 44M are cheapest. Also the official Pentax adapter isn't available any more and the generic cheap ones (like one B&H has) sound not-so-good or downright dangerous. Are there any good ones or a way to get the Pentax one?

Or maybe it would be easier to get a M50 1.7...
03-01-2013, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by apfhex Quote
This thread has me really interested in finding a cheap Helios 44 but I'm a bit confused about all the different versions available, like 44M, 44-2, 44M-4, etc. (and the 44K-4 which I gather doesn't require an adapter but harder to find). Seems like 44-2 or 44M are cheapest. Also the official Pentax adapter isn't available any more and the generic cheap ones (like one B&H has) sound not-so-good or downright dangerous. Are there any good ones or a way to get the Pentax one?

Or maybe it would be easier to get a M50 1.7...
This might help a bit...

Complete list of Helios lenses - getting closer

The 44-2 is a preset, the 44m has an auto aperture. The first model 44m has an A-M switch, the rest 44m-4, 44m-5, 44m-6 etc are auto only. To use those with stop down metering you will have to gimmick the aperture pin. The 44-2 and 44m are single coated lenses, the later ones 44-3 and 44m-4 and up are multicoated. The 44-3 may have trouble mounting on a Pentax. The early production lenses had a thicker focus ring.

The original Helios 44 is a Zenit M39 lens, it has a focal flange distance a little shorter than Pentax M42, so no infinity focus.

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-01-2013 at 04:56 PM.
03-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The original Helios 44 is a Zenit M39 lens, it has a focal flange distance a little shorter than Pentax M42, so no infinity focus.
I am in search of M42 glass, too. Lets say I was looking at an online auction and there is little to no information, except for a few pictures. I guess if a serial number of a lens mounted to a Zenit-E starts with 73... (made in 1973), it is safe to say it has an M42 mount already, right?