Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #1

Pentax K-r Mode Dial Issue

I have a pentax k-r and i love it! i've had it now for maybe two years or so and up until lately its worked fine. but maybe a month or so ago it began acting up and the mode dial has seemed to be getting locked on certain modes. For example when i first turn it on it will be fixed on auto mode but then turning the dial trying to switch to a mode like portrait or shutter speed priority the mode will still read as auto. once in a blue moon the issue is resolved and it works for maybe 30 minutes tops then goes back to getting stuck on random modes. the only ones that constantly work are auto, movie, moving object, night time, and aperture.

02-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This may or may not work but it has worked in other situations where Pentax dials start acting erratically.

With the camera off, spin the dial a few dozen times back and forth. Then turn on and see if that helped. It seems sometimes a bit of grit or dirt gets into the wheel and causes poor contact inside. "Exercising" it has fixed the issue in some cases. Others have reported using electrical contact cleaner with some success, but I personally would not do that. Spraying stuff in my camera I leave to experts.

If that does not work, likely you will have to send it in for repair.
03-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
There are several lengthy threads on this topic if you do a search. A synopsis will show that many of us (myself included) have solved the dial issue successfully using a quality electronics contact cleaner.