Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CDAF error?

So I decided to AF tune my 50-500mm SIgma using the "Dot Tune" method described in this post: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-technique/216496-anybody-tri...inetuning.html

However, when focusing in Live View the focus is consistently off. Not a teeny smidge off, really off. As in blurry image off. I can focus manually and then follow the DotTune process but I don't understand why the CDAF is off? I thought that this was the reliable standard to use. I know I have calibrated other (shorter) lenses by comparing the PDAF to the CDAF and it worked out fine.

So any ideas on what is wrong?

03-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Happens sometimes, when you're way out of the ballpark and the camera doesn't bother hunting. I've even had it confirm focus on a blurry image.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes but it is not random. Completely repeatable over 30 plus trials. I used two different focus targets. Moved the focus manually to the stop before focusing. I am stumped. This is all at 500mm. Will try other focal lengths tomorrow.
03-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Try checking against a magnified image in live view using a 4x loupe and a high contrast target. That is pretty much the gold standard. The CDAF is...well..CDAF and not fool proof.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-02-2013 at 03:00 AM.
03-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Try checking against a magnified image in live view using a 4x loupe and a high contrast target.
That is essentially what I've been doing. 4x or 6x and it is clearly not in focus. A manual adjustment brings things in nicely. AFAIK there is no way to adjust CDAF, right? The only adjustment is PDAF.
03-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

What camera and firmware are you using? And what focal length of the lens? I dunno, I assume CD AF is not great when using tele lenses or slow lenses.
03-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
What camera and firmware are you using? And what focal length of the lens? I dunno, I assume CD AF is not great when using tele lenses or slow lenses.
K-5 current firmware. These tests are at 500mm. Distance is about 30 feet. I am going to do some more this afternoon. I wonder if you have to fill the frame with the chart using CDAF ? Maybe it is catching something off the chart. Not usually an issue as I use center point AF but now that I think about it center point have any bearing on CDAF?
03-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

CD AF uses different AF rules than the PD AF, so you have to select from those. Not sure which choices the K-5 has, but some are better than others. If it has face detection, turn that off. Switch to select AF, not tracking. And then you just press the OK button and move the square around and the camera will try to maximize the contrast within that box (so, find a focus in there). Once you pressed ok to select the AF square and move it around, you can use the green button to put it back into centre.

03-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If it's a HSM lens you probably need to update lens firmware for it to work with CDAF. (if there is a updated firmware).

Sigma has had problem on HSM lenses not working with Pentax CDAF, but I'm not sure if they have updated firmware on all of these lenses.
03-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
If it's a HSM lens you probably need to update lens firmware for it to work with CDAF. (if there is a updated firmware).
Thanks for the reply but, no this is an older screw drive lens. I think I have it dialed in for PDAF but CDAF is still off. I need to run some tests at different distances and focal lengths to see if I can determine anything else. I am sure I am missing something simple, I always thought CDAF was just 'in focus' no messing around and this has me stumped.