Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
That is indeed the class number. Class 4 would be rather slow for modern cameras, but no reason it would not work if you don't mind the wait.
Thanks for the response and information. I can learn something new on the Forum every day. I will know to watch for Class 10 cards next time I buy!

01-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

I used class 4 cards with my PowerShot pns & my k-x. I finally bought class 10 when I bought my k-5ii.

Going through my cards I even still have some class 2 32mb cards circa 2002(?).
01-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
Your camera just can't write that fast. Unless you are constantly doing 30 second burst, which I can't image unless you are a horrible photographer , I don't think you will notice the difference. Check out this link:

Rob Galbraith DPI: Nikon D7000
hmmmm, I actually do use burst pretty extensively, for bird and wildlife. They just aren't dependable models. They move very quickly, and if you don't anticipate them taking off, and try to catch them in flight, they'll be out of your frame before you press the shutter button, your reflexes will be too slow. So, there are legitimate reasons for shooting burst, besides being a bad photographer.

One of the pros I shoot with from time to time always uses burst. It's often with wildlife you don't have time to set up a tripod. Shooting burst hand held, at least 6 frames for every image, means one or two of them are likely to be tack sharp and camera movement free. So I'd say, the better a photographer you are, the more likely you are to understand when you need to use burst. After all, they put these features on cameras because they are useful. Not so bad photographers can use the equipment.
01-04-2014, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
They move very quickly, and if you don't anticipate them taking off, and try to catch them in flight, they'll be out of your frame before you press the shutter button, your reflexes will be too slow.
+1 and let me add: to get the exact right expression or pose. No do overs when the fox leaps up in the air and down onto a mouse, you only get one chance. In burst you increase the probability of a great shot many times over. With landscape, "the decisive moment", waiting for clouds and light to be perfect is great, not so in wildlife.

01-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Same with dance photography. There may be one instant where the wildly rotating dancers stop and change direction, or pose, or soemthing, and since I don't know the routines by heart, burst comes in handy for making sure I get the pose.

Charles.
01-04-2014, 06:04 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I've never used any cards except SanDisk and Lexar. Only had a problem with one SanDisk.
01-04-2014, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

I use only SanDisk Extreme cards in my K200D. They seem to clear the buffer faster. I shoot race boats and race cars a lot. Bursts are the best way to catch the moments. They don't wait around for you to setup and press the shutter. This is one of my favorite captures. I would have NEVER gotten it without Burst. The boat is moving between 150 to 160 mph. It was only like this for a split second. I got real lucky. No part of the boat is in the water in this shot.

I've never had any issues with any of my Extreme's except for my original card the plastic case has come apart. The card however continues to work to this day. I've never formatted them. I mostly use the USB cable to transfer my shots to my PC the delete them using the camera. Been doing it that way since 2008 with NO problems. YMMV

Last edited by kkoether; 01-05-2014 at 04:48 PM.
01-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #38

When I got my K-5, I purchased a couple of Lexar 32GB cards to go with it. I don't have them on hand right now, but they were fast class 10 cards, though not UHS-1. A year ago, one of the cards got corrupted and I had to run a recovery program to retrieve my photos. I noticed that the plastic housing was actually cracked, along the edge on the sides, not only on that card by the other as well. I figured that was the problem and retired both those cards as I wan't going to chance it. I just can't deal with the hassle of trying to recover lost photos. I have enough trouble with timing, framing, exposure and and post-processing to compensate for various screw-ups to have to worry about recovering my photos after all that!

I've replaced them with 2 Sandisk Extreme Pros, 2 Steel Series and 2 Sonys. The Sandisk and the Steel Series are supposed to be more physically robust. The Sonys were cheap and I use them in the K-01 and Q, neither of which have significant burst shooting. There's another thread about the Sonys causing trouble in the K-01, which I've experienced to a limited degree.

As I read this thread and the discussions about the various speeds of class 10 cards, I recalled from the days when I built one or two computers for myself how chip manufacturers "bin" (i.e., sort) their chips based on performance/number of faults, stress testing, etc. This is for CPUs and memory chips. A quad core CPU with one faulty core then gets marketed as a triple core or Celeron vs Pentium IV, memory chips have any number of speed ratings/timings. Surely the same must be true of the NAND flash chips in SD cards, except that it is not so transparent since SD cards are sold to end users, whereas CPUs and memory chips are for OEMs, DIY people or modders.

Obviously the micro controllers in the SD cards make a difference too, in addition to binning the chips.

Last point, which I think is an important one, which is that SD card manufacturers, including Sandisk, don't necessarily make their own NAND flash chips and may buy their chips from more than one source. Surely it does make a difference to buy SD cards from a reputable maker and retailer, but that won't account for variability in the components.

Here's some links that might be of interest. The first mentions who some of the big players are in NAND flash manufacturing. The second gives a little insight into how Sandisk gets it components:

StorageNewsletter

Why Most NAND Rankings Ignore SanDisk | The Memory Guy

Last edited by NotSteve; 01-05-2014 at 03:38 PM.
01-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a bunch of cards that I use for general stuff and a couple of pro level cards that I use strictly for work and while I can't say I see much difference in terms of image quality when all is said and done I do notice a speed difference. My higher level SanDisk cards are faster and they usually load pics to the computer a bit faster too. That being said I don't need faster cards except when I am working and cost-wise I don't feel it's worth it to go there too often. But yeah, I see a speed increase. It's nice, but I could do without.