Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC PENTAX 1.4/50 mm Aperture on K30

Hi all,

I have a K30 and some kit and Tkumar lenses, every thing works fine, but with the SMC PENTAX 1.4/50 mm I have the following problem.
On video mode it works fine when I move the aperture ring it changes the exposure, the picture in the display gets darker as I go to a higher f stop.
But in Av and M mode, it does not matter where I set the aperture ring, nothing changes in the display, in the metering readings, or in the final picture, it seems to me
that it just stays full open at 1.4 no matter what I do with the ring.
When I take the lens out and I move the ring, it operates properly openning and closing the blades.
Have anyone here have experinced a similar problem? are there some setting or trick that I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any hint you can give me

03-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Manual K-mount lenses work differently than M42 lenses. PKM lenses only work in M mode with stop down metering (Green Button). In AV mode they will always be wide open. You can make them behave like an M42 by removing the aperture lever.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html

K-Mount lenses were designed for open aperture metering from the start. On a non-crippled K-mount camera the aperture information is passed to the camera via a mechanical aperture coupling. The lens is not stopped down until the shutter release is pressed. A crippled K-mount lacks the aperture coupling, so the meter does not know what the aperture is set to. Pressing the Green Button in M mode will stop the lens down and allow the camera to take a meter reading. The camera will then stop down the lens when the shutter release is pressed. (If you have not already done so you will need to set Using the aperture ring to permitted in the Custom menu).

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-03-2013 at 09:36 AM.
03-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Manual K-mount lenses work differently than M42 lenses. PKM lenses only work in M mode with stop down metering (Green Button). In AV mode they will always be wide open. You can make them behave like an M42 by removing the aperture lever.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html

K-Mount lenses were designed for open aperture metering from the start. On a non-crippled K-mount camera the aperture information is passed to the camera via a mechanical aperture coupling. The lens is not stopped down until the shutter release is pressed. A crippled K-mount lacks the aperture coupling, so the meter does not know what the aperture is set to. Pressing the Green Button in M mode will stop the lens down and allow the camera to take a meter reading. The camera will then stop down the lens when the shutter release is pressed. (If you have not already done so you will need to set Using the aperture ring to permitted in the Custom menu).
Thanks, then how do I remove the aperture lever, and is it worth doing it?

Thanks
03-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by dltorre Quote

Thanks
It's not worth doing. You can stop the lens down using the DOF preview button if you want to see what the image will look like when stopped down.

Just follow these steps and you'll be set:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dltorre Quote

Thanks
Do not do that!
03-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Do not do that!
Thanks a lot you all! I got it working now in Manual and using the gree buttom, I can see the shutter speed changing and I can see clearly the different DOF on the picture I am taking.
My question now is do I have to use the green buttom also with Takumard M42? because I see the light intensity changing on the M42 while I move the aperture ring.
Also the gree buttom does not seem to work on Av mode does that mean that Av mode is not usable with manual K mount? and yes it is usable with M42?

Thanks guys
03-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

You've got it. K and M lenses in M mode, green button to meter. M42 lenses in Av mode, stop down to meter (turning the aperture ring).
03-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your time and patience!

03-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I actually use my M42 lenses in M mode, since I find the metering to be more reliable.