Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #1

K10D for a beginner?

I'm a beginner to photography. I've played around a little with an old Pentax SP500 of my father's and I have been reading lots on photography. I was looking at getting a K100D Super, but I was waiting for the new models to come out. Right now in Canada I can get a K10D with lens for $100 less than the K200D when it is released later this month. I don't plan on using the auto modes on the K100D/K200D, and I'm thinking that I may eventually outgrow them. Is the K10D too complicated for someone who is not only a beginner to DSLRs but to photography?

02-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In a word no. It will be a little daunting at first but the camera is fairly simple to use once you've played with it some, asked questions here and done some backyard practice. You'll wind up learning much of the same things with the K100/200 anyway. The k10D is just a more advanced camera and is frankly a little easier to use. There are more direct control buttons on the body than the K100/200 series and you are in the menus far less when shooting. For auto shooting there are a couple of modes that will do a good job with little input (P and the green mode).

See if you can find a Magic Lantern guide for it at the local Chapters. A good book and lots of good information. Second thing would be Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" 2004. It might be around in a used book store but even new a very good book to get you started.

Welcome to the forum and nice to see someone from my neck of the woods.If you don't mind me asking, What town are you located in? I'm originally from Halifax and Chester.
02-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
"Understanding Exposure" 2004.
Some of the best advice I have ever received if not the best regarding photography...
Thanks again Peter.
02-28-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
m8o
Veteran Member

K10D was my 1st SLR ever that I got in July '07, and it was exactly what I needed, having both the front and rear dials, buttons to press to change modes, buttons to press to alter what the dials do temporarily thereby setting other operational characteristic w/o a dedicated button or dial, etc... If you are into "dynamic control" and you are not bothered by needing to use it, it's the camera to have.

Meaning, it's like learning to drive a car with a manual transmission instead of an automatic... Harder up front, but the new driver gets "keyed in" better to what the car is doing and what it needs to best control it, and in my and many an opinion makes him/her a better driver... same is my belief with the controls and capabilities of the K10D.

02-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks. I have "Understanding Exposure". I'm going to read it again when I buy a camera.
02-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
The K10d is as simple or as advanced as you want to make it. You can start out fully auto and then gradually start taking control little by little as you feel comfortable. So I agree with Peter - go for it. I also would recommend both books Peter recommended. I got copies off amazon not to long ago.
02-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

quoting from someone else's post a while ago...

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
All these cameras work in pretty similar ways. No matter what camera you're using, if you don't shoot in fully automatic mode, you're controlling basically three things: aperture, shutter speed, and sensitivity. Throw in focus and composition and you've got the entire craft of photography in a nutshell. More advanced cameras don't make these controls harder, they make them easier.
(The rest is here....)
02-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I would conditionally agree with all the other people who responded go for it.

The condition is that you actually intend to learn about what you are doing, and don't just want a 10MP Point and Shoot.

By this, I mean that you are going to start out by learning about exposure, white balance etc, do a lot of manual shooting to control what you photograph, and also spend the time to understand how each of the modes works, the K10D will suit you just fine/

If you are going to get the camera and then bitch about no landscape mode, no sports mode, you don't understand white balance, and why auto mode does not go from 1000K to 9000K etc, then no it's the wrong camera

From your post, I think you'll do just fine

02-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bricha Quote
I'm a beginner to photography. I've played around a little with an old Pentax SP500 of my father's and I have been reading lots on photography. I was looking at getting a K100D Super, but I was waiting for the new models to come out. Right now in Canada I can get a K10D with lens for $100 less than the K200D when it is released later this month. I don't plan on using the auto modes on the K100D/K200D, and I'm thinking that I may eventually outgrow them. Is the K10D too complicated for someone who is not only a beginner to DSLRs but to photography?
If you consider photography as a hobby, postprocessing is as important as taking the picture.
Just as in the old days, however the darkroom now sits in your computer.
I would suggest you spend the saved $100 on a good s/w package.
With a camera like the K10D you might want to shoot a lot of pictures in different settings and different modes. You will end up with a lot of files to handle.
So, make sure to pick the right s/w as well.
I'm more and more using Lightroom for this.

I agree with Lowell, if you are interested, the K10D is the way to go. Buy yourself a pair of second hand lenses and you will have a lot of fun.
The K200D has basically the same sensor as the K10D and less user control.
You will not regret this buy.

- Bert
02-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, couldn't agree more with all responses.
And you can take it from me, who was new to SLR photography just over a year ago, and thought the K100D would satisfy me for a while...

Well it did, but only for a year. Then I also realised I was never using the auto scene modes and wanted to upgrade with the added benefits of more megapixels, better SR, weather seals, wireless flash, and a more versatile battery grip. Indeed there are many more benefits to the K10D, and is worth the extra money you need to spend on it to the K100D.

Remember that the K200D is almost like the K100D only with the K10D sensor, so the K200D has all the auto modes, limited controls and ?no weather sealing. Only advantage may be the more advanced dust removal mechanism, but you're still going to manually remove that at times, no matter which model you pick...

You'll find that you can grow out of the K100D quite easily, but will grow into the K10D with time...
02-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses guys. I had read some reviews that said it wasn't a camera for beginners. I'm going to go a head and order it.

Peter: I'm originally from Pictou but I'm living in Halifax now
02-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'll join in with the crowd. As a beginner in SLR myself (only used P&S film and digital to any major extent), I've found the K10D is a great learning tool. As said it has the flexibility to let you experiment. You can go all auto, semi-auto, or go completely old school. I've picked up few old manual lens (K M, K A, and M42), and it's just like playing around with my Dad's old SLR from the 60s. If you need more capability later on it looks like Pentax is moving toward a more "pro-level" camera (the K20D is certainly a step in that direction) and you will able to use all of the lens that you have played around with on the K10D.

The comment about PP is correct as well. You can do a lot by getting comfortable with getting the shot right when you press the shutter and on your computer screen. I shoot in RAW >90% of the the time. This forum has been very helpful with general advice and member's comments on posted photos.
02-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have to agree with most of the folks here. The k10d is geared towards more advanced folks, or at least folks who *want* to be advanced. It has better controls for people who want to fiddle with the settings. Its really a better camera all around if you can get past the fact that it doesn't have scene modes. Once you learn enough about photography to select the speed/apeture/iso you want for a given type of photo its way better. And that isn't a terrible lot of photography knowledge. I <3 my hyper-program mode.
02-28-2008, 01:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bricha Quote
Thanks for all the responses guys. I had read some reviews that said it wasn't a camera for beginners. I'm going to go a head and order it.
Those reviewers are making the common mistake of confusing beginners with idiots. No, they're just beginners. A camera like the K10D is ideal for someone who is beginning at photography, with the full implication of the word "beginning" they intend to go somewhere with it. On the other hand, someone who doesn't want to learn anything is better off with a camera focused on point-and-shoot.
02-28-2008, 03:43 PM   #15

The K10D is lacking some begginners features, like scene modes... It's more comfortable though because it has two wheels...
Maybe you should get K200 actually? It's basically K10 with more beginners features... Should be same great picture quality, but a bit easier to use...