Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 13
Help me make a decision

Hello Friends,

Looking for your support and advice .

My boss is going to the US for a few weeks . This is my chance to get a pentax.

I have made a selection based on a tight budget of 50k in and around .

Please help me make a choice or an alternative :

Selection 1 : From Adorama

Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body, 16.3MP CMOS Sensor, 1080p HD Video at 25 FPS, 3" LCD, Black 739$
USED Sigma 70-300 4/5.6 Apo Dg-mac F/pntx Af 99$
USED Pentax Smcp-a 50 F2 $30.00
USED Pentax Smcp-fa 28-80 3.5/5.6 *58/silver $60.00


Selection 2 : From Ebay

WHITE Pentax K-30 Digital SLR Body w/ 18-55mm & 55-300mm DA L 2 Lens Kit $869.99

If there is anything you want to comment or correct in my delection please help me out as I am new to this .


Regards,
Arka

03-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member
mrNewt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON, RH
Posts: 2,170
I'd go for the "Selection 1" ... and I'd do it fast before boss gets back
03-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 13
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I'd go for the "Selection 1" ... and I'd do it fast before boss gets back
Thanks Mr NewT

Just a little concern as I am in India ...
Is the K-5 stable enough?
This is just to confirm because we have no service from pentax here ....
03-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member
mrNewt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON, RH
Posts: 2,170
QuoteOriginally posted by Arka Quote
Thanks Mr NewT

Just a little concern as I am in India ...
Is the K-5 stable enough?
This is just to confirm because we have no service from pentax here ....
I have a K-5 and never had any issues with it to be honest ... is a very good and stable camera and if you take care of it, you should be able to enjoy it for years to come .

03-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 13
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I have a K-5 and never had any issues with it to be honest ... is a very good and stable camera and if you take care of it, you should be able to enjoy it for years to come .
Thank you sir
03-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Kozlok's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Albuquerque
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,668
My only comment would be that you are missing any kind of wide lens. The DA 18-55 is plentiful and cheap, I'd advise picking one up, maybe instead of the 28-80. The 80mm end of that is covered by the 70-300, and the gap from 55 to 70 isn't large, so you don't need to fill it. The WR one is a few dollars more, but then you'd be sealed for the elements. Also, if you can manage just a little higher budget, the DA35 f2.4 is a cheap autofocus prime that you will find more useable than the 50. 50 is often too long indoors, and too short outdoors. If you are set on a cheap manual focus 50, though, the A is a fine one to start with. It was my first prime, and I have some wonderful pictures from it, but I quickly found I wanted it to be wider.
03-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 13
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
My only comment would be that you are missing any kind of wide lens. The DA 18-55 is plentiful and cheap, I'd advise picking one up, maybe instead of the 28-80. The 80mm end of that is covered by the 70-300, and the gap from 55 to 70 isn't large, so you don't need to fill it. The WR one is a few dollars more, but then you'd be sealed for the elements. Also, if you can manage just a little higher budget, the DA35 f2.4 is a cheap autofocus prime that you will find more useable than the 50. 50 is often too long indoors, and too short outdoors. If you are set on a cheap manual focus 50, though, the A is a fine one to start with. It was my first prime, and I have some wonderful pictures from it, but I quickly found I wanted it to be wider.
Thank you so much for the info Kozlok ....

Then i am left with 2 choices as an alternative to the 28 80

1. Sigma 18-35 3.5/4.5 F/kpr *82
2. Pentax Smc-dal 18-55 3.5/5.6 Al

Help me choose please.
03-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Kozlok's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Albuquerque
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,668
I don't own the sigma, but this thread indicates that the quality of the two are similar: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/175583-sigma-18-35-3-5-4-5-a.html

Based on that, I'd get the Pentax for the larger range and newer coatings. I have the same lens, it is really a fine starter lens.

03-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 13
Original Poster
ok how about this....

Pentax SMCP-FA 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 --- New

vs

Pentax Smc-dal 18-55 3.5/5.6 Al used
i need quick answer for these please .... I need to make a decision by 20th
03-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
Since you are buying a K-5 just buy it with the 18-55 kit lens. There is no such thing as a "new" FA 28-80 lens, it was discontinued years ago.
03-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 13
Original Poster
Thanks Twitch .... Any ideas how an E rating on Adorama is ...
03-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
Adorama and B&H are excellent stores, actually they are the gold standard for photography stores.
03-18-2013, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #13
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 30,696
QuoteOriginally posted by Arka Quote
My boss is going to the US for a few weeks . This is my chance to get a pentax.
You realise your making all of us an accessory before the fact and it's therefore going to be our fault when you get caught.
03-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #14
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 13
Original Poster
LOL .. sorry ... but so much obsessed and a little nervous ....
03-21-2013, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,417
You'll be fine, the K-5 is a performer. Learning to use it effectively should provide many hours of learning and entertainment. A two zoom lens kit with a nice manual lens as a learning platform is a great start. The Sigma longer zoom and kit lens will suit you for a while. When you find things you can't do with those, then look for something more special. Until then, get all the performance you can out of the lenses you're getting.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, camera, pentax, pentax help, photography, selection, slr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help me make a choice. misbehave Pentax DSLR Discussion 24 07-09-2012 05:59 AM
limited lens decision to make nirVaan Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 21 03-22-2012 08:14 AM
Trying to make a 50-135 decision... FHPhotographer Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 12-09-2008 01:55 PM
Beginner buying K10D , need to make a budget lens decision hd28vsb Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 01-14-2008 09:53 PM
please help me make a lightsphere... slip Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 11 12-31-2006 05:18 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:23 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top