Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #1

Dropped my lens, UV filter is stuck

Something horrible just happened to me. I accidently pulled the strap of my KR and it dropped and bounced on the floor along with my newly bought DA15.

Amazingly nothing was damaged. There are no scratches and everything is working fine. HOWEVER, my UV filter is now stuck on my DA15. The filter has zero visible damage so I dont understand why it refuses to come out. I suspect the knock tightened the grip on the thread.

I only got my DA15 a few days ago and this happens. Can anyone help me with this?

03-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happened to me once with my DA*55. I found that an elastic band over the ring for the filter gave me enough grip to twist it off with ease.
03-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Loosening filters can be a bit of an art. Especially difficult if it has been dropped and dented, even if the dent is not noticeable.

There are several methods but the important thing in all of them is to try and turn the filter without putting any pressure on it in the horizontal direction. If you squeeze it to turn it you deform it and make it tighter. The harder you squeeze to try and turn it the more you deform it and the tighter it gets.

Try using your palm against the front of filter and turn your hand, if that does not work try one of those round rubber jar openers pressed against the front. Another thing to try is a large rubber band or similar anything to even out the pressure all around so you don't deform it.

If all else fails they make filter removal wrenches.
03-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
I tried the rubber band trick doesnt work because of the way the DA15's hood goes over the filter.

03-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
Okay so i fixed it.

I used the screw on lens cap of the DA15 and screwed it in tight onto the UV filter. I then used it to dislodged the UV filter. It came out easily. I hope this information helps others .
03-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you use filters a lot then a set of lens filter wrenches is a useful thing to have