Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Viewfinder cleaning

Hi,

I see a black dot on the right side of my viewfinder, tried to clean the lens and the viewfinder and the dot still there, I can still see it with no lens.
However I dont see it in LiveView or on the pictures I take, but it just bothers me.
Any sugestions?

Thanks

03-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Sounds like it might by dust/debris on the actual focusing screen itself, try a rocket blower and see that shifts it.
03-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Sounds like it might by dust/debris on the actual focusing screen itself, try a rocket blower and see that shifts it.
Thanks, I will try that.
03-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

First you need to make sure its not on the lens (front, back, or inside). Then unmount the lens and look at the mirror. Next the focusing screen (between the mirror and viewfinder). Dooont touch the focusing screen with fingers, it will probably leave marks. But depending on which camera you are using, some cameras also have a pentamirror instead of pentaprism, so stuff can get stuck in there.
When you try to remove dust, its best to try to blow it off. But not with your mouth, because that contains a little spit. Most people recommend a rocket blower. Some claim canned air is also good, but others warn that canned air can cause condensation, so be really careful if you decide to use that, you have been warned.
I see some spots in my K-r's viewfinder that I cannot get out. Well, maybe someone will post a great idea I havent tried yet

03-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I did blow the inside with something similar to a rocket bowler those used for baby's noses.
It did move the black to the opposite side but just got stuck there does not move anymore.
Any other options.
By the way the camera is a K-30

Thanks for your help
03-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Whelp, thats the danger of blowing dust, it can just get moved around instead of moved out. There are some cleaning kits you can find online, but Im not sure any are specifically for viewfinders.
03-06-2013, 03:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah , those hand blowers like the rocket blower - whew - can be a lot of work to move dust ...

I was thinking of canned air to just blow out the lens and camera and then maybe use a hair dryer to gently blow out again to remove moisture [ low heat ] ...

Sometimes , especially older cameras , that you maybe purchased , can be full of dust and debris in all those hard to get into nooks and crannies ...

The more you clean , the more dust seems to show up .

Though how clean the canned air is ? [ CO2 blowers would be better - but does anyone make one ? ]

03-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
Though how clean the canned air is ? [ CO2 blowers would be better - but does anyone make one ? ]
No, don't, never! they can leave a residue that will be all but impossible to remove. Use a rocket blower or equivalent, ideally something with a valve that will prevent dust from blowing. They're cheap, after all.
03-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I just ordered this Giottos AA1900 hopefully does a better job than the baby nose aspirator that I ha
03-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dltorre Quote
I just ordered this Giottos AA1900 hopefully does a better job than the baby nose aspirator that I ha
Received the Giottos and worked great blowed just 3 times and the black dot is gone.