Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Fixing scratches on LCD

Hey all, I have some pretty gnarly scratches on the LCD of my GX-10 (K10D) that I'd like to fix up. There are a couple of deepish scratches and then an area thats kinda foggy from a bunch of small abrasions. Is there anything that can be done for either one of those? I can post photos when I get home, although I'm not sure what I would take them with

03-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Hey all, I have some pretty gnarly scratches on the LCD of my GX-10 (K10D) that I'd like to fix up. There are a couple of deepish scratches and then an area thats kinda foggy from a bunch of small abrasions. Is there anything that can be done for either one of those? I can post photos when I get home, although I'm not sure what I would take them with
couple of suggestions over here :https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/60086-k100d-how-fi...lcd-cover.html

and another here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/189833-...pentax-k7.html
03-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #3

Fixing deep scratches is difficult without turning the panel into a negative lens. Meantime, try this product that can be bought at many auto supply stores:
MeguiarsDirect.com:Clear Plastic Polish Clear Plastic Polish

I use Optex protective film on all my LCDs. It is thin but protects against scratches and can be peeled off easily when it becomes abraded and can be replaced. About $10.00 for enough for 2-3 bodies.
03-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Try using two mirrors and a long lens.

03-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
I'm not sure what I would take them with
I guess a couple of aspirin if it's really bad.
03-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RichA Quote
Meantime, try this product that can be bought at many auto supply stores:
MeguiarsDirect.com:Clear Plastic Polish Clear Plastic Polish.
I would be very reluctant to use that on the camera ...
03-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I had to stop and think if I would try this on my own camera, and decided, yes I would if I was bothered enough by the scratches. Every scratch fix I have seen works the same way... it doesn't fix the scratch, it removes material from either side of the scratch so it isn't as noticeable. 'Fogging' is really just a bunch of micro-scratches.

I have used the commercial automotive headlight de-fogging kits with great success - on polycarb headlight covers . You are abrading away most of the micro-scatches then top coating with a clear polymer.

And, I am a scuba diver. I purchased a used dive computer with a plastic cover over the LCD display that had some scratches. At another diver's suggestion, I used Brasso (yes the metal polish) to buff out all but the deepest scratches. It did substantially improve my ability to read the computer's display.

As they say, "Your Mileage May Vary". Again, how annoyed are you with how it looks now?
03-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I had to stop and think if I would try this on my own camera, and decided, yes I would if I was bothered enough by the scratches. Every scratch fix I have seen works the same way... it doesn't fix the scratch, it removes material from either side of the scratch so it isn't as noticeable. 'Fogging' is really just a bunch of micro-scratches.

I have used the commercial automotive headlight de-fogging kits with great success - on polycarb headlight covers . You are abrading away most of the micro-scatches then top coating with a clear polymer.

And, I am a scuba diver. I purchased a used dive computer with a plastic cover over the LCD display that had some scratches. At another diver's suggestion, I used Brasso (yes the metal polish) to buff out all but the deepest scratches. It did substantially improve my ability to read the computer's display.

As they say, "Your Mileage May Vary". Again, how annoyed are you with how it looks now?
I have used a tiny bit of toothpaste to remove scratches on watch crystals. The abrasive materials in the toothpaste do the trick. Have not tried on camera LCD though. Might work. At least it will smell nice and fresh!

03-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

To be honest, I wouldn't bother.

The camera is a tool to be used. It's not a piece of jewelry, or maybe it is?
03-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
To be honest, I wouldn't bother.

The camera is a tool to be used. It's not a piece of jewelry, or maybe it is?
Flitz Metal Polish!!! That is not the LCD that's scratched. It's a clear plastic cover over the LCD. Flitz can be had from Amazon.com or maybe a local boat dealer. It's great stuff with MANY uses.
03-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The foggy bit is pretty annoying, I'm pretty used to it but I'm wanting to sell the camera since I'd like to upgrade and even though everything else works just peachy I feel the scratched LCD will ruin the resale. I'll try some toothpaste or brass polish, thanks all.