Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #1

Need help choosing the right lense

I have a K-X and I need to buy a new lense to take group portraits to use as reference photos for Art works.
I want to capture a small group of people (2-5?) re-enacting a scene for me, to then turn into a painting.
I realize I will need a large room to do this in. I also want to use only one light source, and for the background to be darker to enhanse the
characters.
I hope I have given enough information for you to go on.
Appreciate any advice given.
Cheers ..... Lacota

03-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A zoom, Sigma or Tamron 17-50/2.8 will give good detail and allow compositional flexibility. For a prime, I would consider something from 15mm to 31mm, depending on how tight your compositions will be and how far you can back up. A longer focal length will show less distortion, but will require more shooting distance.
03-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Of lens I own, I would probably select Sigma 30 mm f 1.4, a fast lens that is good for low-light situations.
As an alternative, I might select Tamron 17-50 mm f 2.8, also good in low-light situations.

Another readily available choice is the kit lens Pentax 18-50 mm f 3.5-5.6, probably quite acceptable if
you plan to use flash, or if the room is not too dark. This lens is readily available at prices from $50 to
$100 on sites such as eBay, but is a better lens than that price implies simply because so many of them
were sold and now available on the second-hand market.

Hope this is helpful to you.
03-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

What lens(es) do you have now? You may not need to buy another.

03-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Pentax Manual Focus 28 F2.8 SMC A (49) 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS WIDE ANGLE LENS - KEH.com
Cheap, comes with lens caps and when KEH says excellent condition they mean it (really anal on the grading in my experience).

It's wide enough so you don't need to be in a massive room, its an A lens so you can use normal shutter and aperture controls (either dials or auto mode) and it is of good quality and pretty fast (there is a faster version but its impossible to find and super expensive).

For just one person I would have suggested a longer focal length, but for you're unique needs this is a good one, plus you will find many uses for this focal length on APSC.

EDIT: And I think (not sure) you can get away with using the plastic square lens hood for the 50mm lens on APSC cameras which is much cheaper and more common wheras the original hood for this lens can be something of a bother to find.
I find all these primes respond very well to lens hoods.
03-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 28 2.8 It seems over priced but it is around the focal length you need, but a lot depends on the amount of room you have. You can get the DA 35 2.4 for a bit more and will have autofocus

Good luck

Randy
05-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks so much Guys for your feedback.
I have been away..... & now back to explore this further.
My camera came with an 18-55 lense & I will see how it performs first.
Thanks again for your help
Cheers .....