Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
vic_in_berlin

X-5 not recognised by my computers

Hi, I took some holiday pix with my new Pentax X-5, and now I want to transfer them to my PC. I have tried on 2 computers (both with Windows7), and the X-5 is not recognised as a drive. I also tried with the awfully clunky program Photoimpressions, but apart from the fact that it is dreadfully difficult to recognise anything (especially to recognise the directory tree), this Pentax program also failed to recognise the camera.
Can anyone explain how this is supposed to work? On previous digital cameras it was an easy plug and play system, but not so with the Pentax, it seems.

03-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Hi. This could be as simple as a problem with the USB cord. It could also be as simple as dirty contacts in the port of the camera or computer, or on the USB cord connections. A more serious problem could be a damaged port on the camera itself.

If you have a computer with SD card slots, and you're simply wanting to transfer images to the computer, you can take the SD card out of the camera and insert it into the computer. If your computer doesn't have integrated SD slots, you can get a card reader from just about any online source.
03-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vic_in_berlin Quote
Hi, I took some holiday pix with my new Pentax X-5, and now I want to transfer them to my PC. I have tried on 2 computers (both with Windows7), and the X-5 is not recognised as a drive. I also tried with the awfully clunky program Photoimpressions, but apart from the fact that it is dreadfully difficult to recognise anything (especially to recognise the directory tree), this Pentax program also failed to recognise the camera.
Can anyone explain how this is supposed to work? On previous digital cameras it was an easy plug and play system, but not so with the Pentax, it seems.
Hi, was the camera's battery sharged enough?
03-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please forgive for asking the question - is the camera turned on? If the camera is turned on, then it just may be a defective cable. As was previously posted, pull the SD card and slide it into the PC's card reader or acquire a standalone card reader or a USB/SD card device. It should not be this difficult.

03-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #5
vic_in_berlin

SD card OK

My desktop PC has an SD card slot, so I managed to get the pix onto my computers..
When I get a moment, I will check whether the original rechargeable batteries can be recharged via the USB cable. If not, I will then try a different cable to see if that provides connectivity and recharging capability.
I will post the results here, but I'm not holding my breath, because first I have a whole load of freelance work (translating) that I have to get out of the way.
03-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #6
vic_in_berlin

And in reply to the questions

The batteries had sufficient charge. I had put in new batteries half way through the holiday and only done a couple of dozen pix since then.
And yes, the camera was turned on when I tried to connect it to the computers - in fact I tried various permutations (camera on then connect cable, camera on with cable already connected etc.), and I tried with the camera in capture mode and in playback mode.
In the manual, I can't find any information about which mode the camera should be in (capture/playback) before it is hooked up to a PC.
03-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #7

I hope it's just a problem with the cord itself, or at the very least just some dirty contacts. Good luck!

03-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #8

I just downloaded the manual for the X-5. You've probably already done this, but check to make sure your camera's USB settings are on MSC (Mass Storage Class). The manual also says to just plug in the cable and then turn on the camera. This info is on pgs 183 & 184 of the PDF version of the manual.
04-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #9
vic_in_berlin

Replacement USB cable

I bought a replacement USB cable for the X-5, and the computer found the camera immediately. So thanks to those who suggested that this may be the problem.
04-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Great you got it sorted, sometimes we all get let down by something daft as a relatively cheap bit of cable.
04-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #11

Glad to hear this was a simple fix!