Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
occasional focus confirmation

I have a problem getting focus confirmation (green hexagon) on my KX with a samyang 500 mirror lens .
I would like to photograph wildlife preferable with catch in focus.
I have no problem with focus confirmation or catch in focus with my other lenses.
I focus slowly through the focus point but rarely does the camera beep, I like to use the beep as the camera is better at deciding where focus is than my eyesight, and catch in focus does not fire until focus confirmation is made.
I know this lens does not get great reviews but I was not expecting this problem.
I only have a vague understanding of how the camera detects the focus point.

Is there anything I can do to assist the camera to get focus?

thank you Steve

03-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can't expect the K-x's AF to work reliably at F8. Even pro cameras struggle with slow lenses!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes f8 is a challenge. I have a K-x and a K-5 and I notice that the K-5 is better in these sort of scenarios (for one thing AF indication is more responsive).

Why not use Live view and up the magnification with INFO but to 8 or 10? I use Liveview in these sort of scenarios.
03-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you, now I know why it is a problem.
I will use live view and have to use my own judgment.