Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #1

Can Vivitar 285 (non HV) be used with K-5IIs?

I have an old Vivitar 285 (not HV) in very fine condition and would like to use it with my new K-5IIs. I have read many articles which cautions use of the flash with my camera because of "high trigger voltage" and only to use it in an "off-camera" configuration. I need suggestions on what accessories to purchase. Is a flash bracket (probably not the correct terminology) and sync cord all that is needed? Can a hot shoe adapter be purchased so the flash can remain on the camera? Any assistance or suggestions are highly appreciated!

03-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Have you checked the voltage yourself? There are some 285s that are safe, the design seemed to change a lot over the years.

If the voltage is high you can use it with a Wein Safe-Sync on the camera, that will protect the camera from the high voltage. You'd also need this if you wanted to use it with a cable and bracket, since the flash would still be directly connected to the camera.

Another option is radio triggers, I know the Cactus V5 triggers are able to handle up to 300V, so the flash will not hurt them.
03-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Another option is radio triggers, I know the Cactus V5 triggers
Agree, using an adapter or a sync cord will not protect the camera as the voltage just goes through the wires or adapter. Only wireless triggers will protect you or the safe-Sync mentioned above.

The best thing is to check the voltage yourself.
03-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

As stated in other posts, measure the voltage on the particular unit. The 285HV is safe, but the 285 may or may not. I had 3 copies of 283, one measured 10.2V and the other two some where around 180V.

IMHO, unless you have a specific reason to use a particular flash, a Wein Safe-Sync in general does not make economic sense. You can get a decent used flash with safe voltage for about the same amount of money for a Safe-Sync.