Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-30 battery problem

I have had my K-30 for 3 months now and I randomly have an issue with the battery. or at least I think it's the battery. every once in a while my camera will just freeze up, it wont shut off or anything. I have to remove the battery and then put it back in to get it to work. I called costco (the store I purchased from) and they allowed me to exchange it for a new one. that was 2 months ago and I'm having the same problem with this new camera. has anyone else experienced this? am I doing something wrong?

03-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It happens from time to time, but hopefully rarely. It will happen more often when your batteries are low, so make sure you keep them charged!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Also, batteries wear slightly with each charge cycle and have a limited number of charge cycles. Too hot, too cold, and using batteries until they are nearly dead all accelerate wear. Although under even moderately harsh use, I would expect a battery to last longer than 3 months.
03-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I have not experienced this with my K-30 but I recall reading of occasional "lock-ups" starting with the press preview of the K-30 and continuing in threads here and there including this one. Has anyone that was actually experiencing this applied the updated firmware? If so, did the "Improved stability for general performance." that's included in firmware 1.03 help?

03-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you have the second camera with the same problem you may be doing something wrong. Do you lock battery in compartment before closing a battery cover? Try cycle battery at least two times - completely discharge it after full recharge. Check p. 214 of manual.

Cheers
03-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KnightGirl Quote
every once in a while my camera will just freeze up
Are sure Microsoft weren't involved in the manufacture of this camera?, it's the sort of behaviour their products exhibit.
03-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

When I ordered my K30 from Amazon and in the meantime I also got two 2000 mAh batteries from Ebay (China knock off). When the camera and batteries arrived, I used the battery which came with the camera and it lasted in 3 đays with full first charge, then I replaced with the knock off 2000 mAh from Ebay, and it lasted about a week with just about the same usage. Now I rather have the Pentax battery as a back up only.
09-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #8

I don't have a K-30... yet but have you checked the space in the battery compartment? Both my Optio WG-1 & 2 "wiggled" around in their battery compartments and I had to wedge pieces of paper into the compartment to ensure the battery was touching the contacts completely. I don't know how that affects the freezing (as mine would just shut off) but if you're having depletion issues I'd check it out.