Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alec [k-x:
;2310472]i briefly tried this last night but i will retry it.. if the contacts are shorted out, will AF.S work as it is supposed to? (as in not shooting till in focus?)
The foil or shim should be between the adapter and the lens, as the adapter fits inside the lens mount, you would not be able to reach the contact pins on the outside of the mounts if you put it where you indicate. Another thing to remember is to take some fine sand paper and sand down a small bit, about 1 inch, of the paint on the lens between the shim or foil, and the lens, to ensure proper contact with the metal of the lens. If the contacts are shorted properly, CIF works like a charm

Sorry about the quality of the photos, took it quickly with my mobile phone, but I'm sure you'll get the idea

EDIT: As some of the M42 lenses don't cover the camera contact pins (see the last photo), I found it better to us the shims; if the lens does cover the contact the pins, you can short it with foil...

Attached Images

03-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How does this shim impact focus at infinity?
03-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Using it on my Cunor 200mm and 400mm, my Yashinon 50 1.7, my 2 Tak 55 1.8's, no problem at all with infinity, our soft drink cans are really thin. On my Tak 105/2.8 I had a special shim made out of copper, because it is about 2mm thick if I remember correctly, and it has a small diameter as in the last photo; you need something firmer than foil to keep good contact on the contact points.
03-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #19

Original Poster
great it worked!
thanks.

next problem! ha
i'm also using a 300mm tamron f5.6 "bbar multi C".
alone this lens has no issues shooting with catch in focus as well as being sharp..

together with a 2x teleconverter i cant seem to get anything in focus..
set up on a tripod using live view magnified it just seems as if the image hovers around focused without ever actually reaching it!

is there something wrong with the 2xteleconverter? seems odd but may just not be the greatest teleconverter..

03-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alec [k-x:
;2313218]i'm also using a 300mm tamron f5.6 "bbar multi C".
alone this lens has no issues shooting with catch in focus as well as being sharp..
together with a 2x teleconverter i cant seem to get anything in focus..
If your lens is fine alone, one would expect the teleconverter to be the culprit.

I have the Tamron Adaptall-2 300mm f/5.6 Model 06B and it works like a charm with both the Tamron Adaptall-2 01F Teleconverter and the Tamron SP F-Series (fixed mount type) teleconverter for Pentax K. The combinations even allow for CIF if the light isn't too bad.
03-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
If your lens is fine alone, one would expect the teleconverter to be the culprit.

I have the Tamron Adaptall-2 300mm f/5.6 Model 06B and it works like a charm with both the Tamron Adaptall-2 01F Teleconverter and the Tamron SP F-Series (fixed mount type) teleconverter for Pentax K. The combinations even allow for CIF if the light isn't too bad.
Yes that makes sense.. oh well i guess i'll stick with the 300 mm alone.
Thanks!