Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K30 with a AF-360FGZ flash question.

I want to use the external AF-360 flash in wireless mode as the single flash without the internal flash operating. The external AF-360 flashes only if the internal flash operates also. Is there a way to do it without using a sync cable? Eventually, i want to use two AF360 in wireless mode without the internal K30 flash operating. If I don't raise the internal flash, the external AF360 doesn't flash. what am I doing wrong or maybe it's not possible without a sync cable? Since the two external AF360 will be used in manual mode with different power range, I don't want the internal flash from interfering. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

03-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you have to have a master to trigger the slave flash. So, in this case, you can use the k-30 built in flash as master and the AF360 as slave. Further you can adjust of the flash output ratio between master and slave. If you don't use the internal flash as master, you can use a wireless flash trigger (such as catcus-5) to mount it on the hot-shoe, and wireless remotely control the AF360 mounted on another flash trigger as receiver.
03-13-2013, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Read this thread.
03-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
After reading the suggested threads above, I found the solution to my problem. It is very simple and works perfectly. All I had to do was set the internal flash mode in the menu to "control flash". When i took a picture with the internal flash only, it did flash but the picture was not at all affected because it flashed before tripping the shutter. Thanks to those of you who responded and to Warren who sold me a perfect AF-360FGZ for a nice price to use as my second slave.

03-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
When i took a picture with the internal flash only, it did flash but the picture was not at all affected because it flashed before tripping the shutter.
I'm glad it works for you.

But I'm curious: Have you tried taking a photo in front of a mirror, with the built-in flash visible in the mirror?
03-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I took a photo in front of a mirror and can see the flash. But, I just took a photo in a dark location and the flash doesn't lighten the place at all, it is as if the flash never operated, The result is the same with or without flash, which is exactly what I was looking for. This morning, i met two friends who have Canon and Nikon cameras and their cameras have exactly the same feature as the Pentax but it is called something else. Now I'll start using my two slaves for some fun. Take care.