Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Kit Lens Replacement

Hello guys, I am new to the forums so first of all you might want to send me to some topics where I could get some good info on kit lens replacements.

But to get to the case... currently I own the 18-55mm first version and I am not very happy with it. I mean, it gets good results on mid distance and stopped down but it isn't fast enough for my needs. The second lens which I own is F 80-200mm F4.7-5.6, it's not sharp at all but works as my telephoto. So I am looking for a lens at the wider end (35mm and below).

The first lens that I am most interested in is DA 35mm 2.4, albeit plastic, it seems to be producing very amazing pictures(judging by reviews) and is much faster than the kit lens. Plus it's a prime lens, which I love working with... Before my K-5 I had an MFT camera with the Lumix G 20mm 1.7 and it was so fun to shoot with it, so I am looking for a lens that I will enjoy shooting in most situations.

The next option would be waiting longer (up to 3 months) and getting the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, I am just not very sure if that is what I want and I've read people are having problems with FF/BF with this lens. Also I would have to get a second hand lens as I can't afford to pay $500 for a new one (I am a student).

The last option would be a brand new Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM. While retaining the ability to zoom I would get a faster wide end (2.8).

Let me know what you think, and let me know which other lenses I should consider, I would really appreciate it!

03-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I would consider the older Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 instead which should be around $250, maybe less, as the 18-50 variable aperture lens was not good.
03-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you will be happy with the DA 35mm F2.4.
It's my street and walkaround lens nowadays and I really like it.
And for the cost of the lens, the pictures I am able to take with it, to me it was a easy choice.

Instead of a zoom lens I decided to use prime lenses instead.
I do have a 18-200 Tamron which I use for travel but I will rather save my money to buy more prime lenses.
But everyone has different needs.

Not sure if this helps at all, if you have more Q's about the DA 35mm, PM me.

Cheers
Yos

Ps. Sorry for strange post maybe.... need more coffee!
03-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
If you're willing to forego Auto and switch to manual, you can pick up an old M 50mm f/1.7 for loose change in good condition. It does make things a bit tricky but is a lot of fun to use and fantastic image quality. There are literally dozens on (e)Bay from $20 up to over $100. There are often some here on the marketplace too.

Pentax Forum review here

If you're on a tight budget, and happy to play in the manual arena, this is one of the best.

03-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While not technically faster (larger aperture) the 16-45 gives nice, crisp images and isn't expensive. It's good indoors but of course has limited reach. With the K-5 you have plenty of ISO to play with before noise is a major problem, so you may not really need to shoot with huge apertures.

Having said that, I have found my Sigma 28mm f1.8 wide-open indoors is quite nice.
03-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As a student I got really into old screw mount primes due to financial necessity and never looked back. They aren't as cheap as they were 6 or 7 years ago, but still pretty darn reasonable for what you get.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
03-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #7

I second Yos' suggestion on the 35mm F2.4. It's a great lens. Plus of course, the 35mm is one the more affordable lenses on Pentax's stable. Can't beat that.
I jumped to a 50mm prime after my kit lens and found it to be a little too long for my own general use.

03-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
Yos
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by junP Quote
I jumped to a 50mm prime after my kit lens and found it to be a little too long for my own general use.
+1 on that. Felt exactly the same, that's why I am so happy I got the DA 35mm F2.4