Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #1

Pentax k100d Super aperture problem?

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a second hand k100d Super. Up until now it was working fine, but today it seems that the camera will not stop down any of the lenses that I mount. I've tried a Vivitar S1 70-210/3.5, JC Penny MC Auto 80-200/3.9, and a Sigma Zoom Master 35-70/2.8-4, and none of them are stopped down. After taking the lenses off and manually working the aperture levers, the JCPenny and Vivitars will stop down just fine, but the Sigma won't (though the lever moves freely and much easier than the Vivitar lever). There is oil on the blades of the Sigma, so it is intermittent.
Any idea what might be wrong? I'm hoping it is a problem I can fix myself without much expense.

03-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Inside the lens mount, there's a chrome bar and a black rectangular piece that slides up and down to engage the lever on the lens. Here's what it looks like on my *ist DS, just a bit older than your camera but likely similar:

With the lens off, you can slide the power switch over to its depth of field preview setting and that rectangular piece should push up. Some people have had that spring just barely visible in my photo fall off, disabling the piece.
03-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
The actuator works in my camera, so that isn't the problem. For some reason it is working again, so it seems to be an intermittent problem... curious
03-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mizupsi Quote
The actuator works in my camera, so that isn't the problem. For some reason it is working again, so it seems to be an intermittent problem... curious
What happens when you engage the DOF preview?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
Without the lens on, the actuating lever in the camera body will go up and down, as it is supposed to. With the lens attached, when the problem was occurring, nothing. It sounded like the lever was moving, but the lens wasn't stopping down.
03-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Have you successfully used this camera with non-A-contact lenses before? If not, have you enabled the aperture ring? Next question...are you shooting in M mode?

Steve
03-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yes sir, I've used all three of these lenses successfully before, and two are not Auto lenses. I have enabled the aperture ring with m42 lenses, and have tried shooting in Manual mode, as well as Aperture Priority. Everything is working correctly for the moment, but I'd still like to see if we can find out what was going wrong, if it is alright with you.
03-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Just background: In M mode, with no lens on, the actuating lever should go its full distance when shooting or using the DOF preview, because the camera thinks it's a basic K mount lens and you're using its aperture ring to set the aperture. That assumes the custom setting for [Using Aperture Ring] is [Permitted].

If it was just one lens, the lever on that lens can get bent just enough to miss the actuator on the camera. It is unlikely that all your lenses had this problem at once.

The only other idea I have is cleaning battery contacts. The AA powered cameras are more sensitive to this because there are more contacts and lower voltage. My DS had all kinds of weird intermittent issues that vanished with clean battery contacts.

03-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #9

Original Poster
Just cleaned the contacts; I will let yall know if the problem happens again. Thanks all