Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter

SD card reader

I have a built in SD card reader on my brand new laptop (less than a few months old)...

I have a bunch of brand new SD cards...all the same brand... some of them work just fine in the built in reader. One I used the other day though I put it in and it would not detect it.

Finally I got my adapter and put the SD card in there and plugged it into the USB port and it worked just fine.

I have looked up about 'drivers' and such but the SD cards I am using are all the same brand make and model. Some will detect and others won't.

???

Any tips?

03-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Emperor and Senpai

make sure you didn't get anything in it. Blow it out good. I've seen it happen.
03-18-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

SD card is SD card, it's universal driver and not brand specific. Same as USB sticks for example.

Why some read and others don't with a new laptop, i don't know... it should have be SD, SDHC and SDXC compatible and UHS bus only (UHS2) cards aren't out yet.
03-18-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I have a built in SD card reader on my brand new laptop Some will detect and others won't.

Not all the laptop's built-in card reader's data springs are making contact with the card's contact spots.
  • Quality/uniformity of SD card cases
  • Sloppiness in guide rails in laptop's card reader

Those are the top two reasons when some cards work in either reader, but other identical cards will only work in one reader but not the other. I've had similar issues with some cheap cards and some of the SD card adapters (e.g., micro SD to standard SD). I've never had a problem with one of the higher quality SD cards, and that includes the Amazon Basics cards.