Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Exposureplot looks like a slick tool. I downloaded it and set it free to scan all my photographic folders. Only it returns "None of the jpeg files contained EXIF info." ... I shoot RAW+ so there are lots of jpg files, and I know the EXIF data is there. I also tried it on folders with just Pentax K-r jpegs, and tried it on folders with just jpg photos from an Olympus P&S that are also known to have EXIF data.

I hate to bug folks for tech support, but any ideas what I am doing wrong?
I've gotten oddball messages if I try to run an analysis of too many files at once, but otherwise its worked like a charm for me.

03-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
This sounds like a fairly good idea as long as you can separate your judgement of specific lenses in terms of both image quality AND focal length...

You may have a 28 or 50 with awful image quality but don't discount the usefullness of the focal length...

Experiment - Play - Enjoy!!
Excellent point...I'm going to try to be objective in evaluating composure/utility (use of the focal length) and quality (lens performance - sharpness, bokeh etc) as separate things. I've quite a bit of overlap with some of the lenses I bought (some "job lots" where I was interested in a specific lens on a camera had a couple of other lenses in too), and I'll use the lenses I have as a benchmark where possible. I can always ask for the communities help if I need it, as it's been very responsive so far!

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Exposureplot looks like a slick tool. I downloaded it and set it free to scan all my photographic folders. Only it returns "None of the jpeg files contained EXIF info." ... I shoot RAW+ so there are lots of jpg files, and I know the EXIF data is there. I also tried it on folders with just Pentax K-r jpegs, and tried it on folders with just jpg photos from an Olympus P&S that are also known to have EXIF data.

I hate to bug folks for tech support, but any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Hmmm...I ran almost 15,000 files through it (just got it to look at one of my archive drives), and it spat out the numbers/graph very obediently. It also analysed iphone shots, ones the kids had done with all kinds of point n click cameras etc, so I had to be more selective to get better data, but it's never pushed an error on me...the version I used was 1.14 if that helps?

EDIT

After seeing you shoot in RAW, I just tried analysing some DNG files I ran through Lightroom and spat out as JPEGs, and had the same issue. I tend to shot in RAW+JPEG (so I can review on a non-Lightroom PC to trim down shots before import, and if I just want something quick n dirty for Facebook etc), so have the JPEGs anyway...not sure if you're doing the same thing on a very similar camera (mines a k-m) why you're getting no joy...

Last edited by alexmann; 03-20-2013 at 03:42 PM.
03-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I've gotten oddball messages if I try to run an analysis of too many files at once, but otherwise its worked like a charm for me.
Nope. Still doesn't work. I think I've figured out that I HAVE to add my camera to the equivalent list:

[_START]
[make]PENTAX
[model]K-r
[real_lens]1
[35mm_equivalent]1.5
[_END]

And ONE time for ONE folder I got output. Now Exposureplot is back to claiming none of the jpeg images have EXIF information .... which is silly because you can view this information from each image right from Windows 7 File Explorer/Properties/Details. (My OS is Win7 Pro 64bit)

So I am sadly going to uninstall (for the 4th time) Exposureplot unless somebody here can say - Hey dummy, of course it doesn't work. You forgot to ....
03-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Focal length is focal length. Crop factor is different. THe DA35mm is a 35mm lens but on the K-5 it has the field of view like you would get with a ~55mm on a full frame camera. The lens is still a 35mm lens.
That is true, and I got ahead of myself in my post. My clarification and suggestion was that the OP would need to account for the field of view if using an APS-C body when considering primes, as the ExposurePlot data was expressed in 35mm equivalent. Thus, if one of the most frequently used focal lengths was 35mm in full-frame equivalent, that is a similar field of view as as 21mm lens on an APS-C body.

03-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Santoku Quote
Thus, if one of the most frequently used focal lengths was 35mm in full-frame equivalent, that is a similar field of view as as 21mm lens on an APS-C body.
Actually, 24mm on APS-C is equivalent to 35mm on 135 FF. (36mm but close enough) A 21mm lens would be equivalent to a 31mm.
03-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Actually, 24mm on APS-C is equivalent to 35mm on 135 FF. (36mm but close enough) A 21mm lens would be equivalent to a 31mm.
Yes, true that.
03-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alexmann Quote
Yeah the tool uses a "35mm equivalent" as a default - I didn't change it for anything, just ran them all through the same settings...does it make a difference?
Yes, you have to do the math instead of the program doing it.
03-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #38
Pentaxian

ExposurePlot problems

@JimJohnson
@alexmann
@DaveHolmes
@Docrwm
QuoteQuote:
"None of the jpeg files contained EXIF info."
ExposurePlot works as it should with one of my computers.
With another one, it will find or not find files containing EXIF randomly.

Exploring the invoked processes, it seems to start of a lot of DLLs of the .NET libraries. I have installed a range of different versions of .NET (following the compatibility rules of Microsoft), but probably not exactly the same on all machines. My guess is, that ExposurePlot may grab different DLL versions with every start, if such are installed.

After a lot of experimenting, I installed Wega2 (also freeware), which includes ExposurePlot.

All problems solved. Maybe Wega2 adds some specific registry entrances ensuring only suitable DLLs are used.

03-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #39
Site Supporter

That fixed the issue. Danke!
03-25-2013, 05:15 AM   #40
Pentaxian

ExposurePlot problems update

Got in contact with the author of ExposurePlot.

He confirmed my findings.
Or more or less, as with me the problems occurred with 1 of 3 computers, all on Windows XP professional:
QuoteQuote:
[Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2013 10:41 PM]
This problem occured with version 1.1.5 should be resolved in 1.1.5a
The problem has to do with the manner newer versions of windows create internally a path to a file.
If you have still troubles use Wega2 with Exposureplot as an internal feature, Wega2 uses a different routine for the path to files and should run just fine.
I will try to find out whether network storage or networked computers can be integrated. As neither ExposurePlot nor Wega2 are supporting it, there maybe a way to fool MS WIndows by some kind of assigning drives on other computers to a virtual local directory. I just don't want to mess up my systems by experimenting, if I know it's kind of hopeless.

Last edited by RKKS08; 03-25-2013 at 05:35 AM.
03-25-2013, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

ExposurePlot update 2

Got again in touch with the author. He told ExposurePlot 1.1.5a has some basic network support (1.1.5 hasn't).

I replaced 1.1.5 with 1.1.5a and it works! In Wega2 networks don't exist.

As ExposurePlot 1.1.5a now also doesn't anymore show that "no file with EXIF found", it actually may be the better solution, if one does not need the additional functions of Wega2.

See also:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/2195...ml#post2326482

Last edited by RKKS08; 03-25-2013 at 09:03 AM.