Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #1

sf1n/takumar 28-80

Hi, novice at best. When I press button half way down it does attempt to focus but the two red arrows appear. While this lens work with my camera on auto focus? How do I know if its the camera or lens or neither. Recent pawn shop purchase. I live outside Peoria IL. area. The only 35mm non digital in all the shops. this lens does have a green Macro setting on it besides the white 28-50.

03-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your lens looks like this, then yes, it should be able to AF:
Takumar-F 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - Non-SMC Pentax Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, assuming the lens is, in fact, an AF lens (the one Adam lists) there's a couple of things you can do to verify that the lens 'should' auto-focus.

First, will the lens manually focus from infinity to close? Try it off the camera.

Second, on the lens mount, there is a round thing that appears to be a screw-driver slot - this is the AF link point between the lens and the camera body. Try turning it with a screw-driver - does the lens change focus?

If all that checks out, does the camera auto-focus with a different lens? If so, try cleaning the contacts on the lens and see if that makes a difference. If not, or you don't have another lens to test with, try fresh batteries.

Good luck!!
03-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
thanks, yes that is the lens, i will try the suggestions