Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #1

Av + AF? for DOF on K5

Trying to control DOF on a K5 using Av for manual Fstop settings. Didn't work out the way I thought on AF... is there a combination of settings that allows me to use the center spot for AF, then "lock" it to use for the photo? I know this should be simple, but I failed to get the right combo and don't want a repeat. Thanks!

03-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wait, what?
You use Av mode to set F stop. The smaller the F number, the thinner the DoF, the bigger the number, the more DoF (though, you probably don't want to go above f14 due to diffraction. Some say it starts as early as f8). Or Manual mode (+green button). Or Program mode and shift (shift by twisting the wheel). So far so good, Av is a good mode to use.
AF is a different matter altogether. AF depends on your camera settings, not shooting mode. Some lenses have a AF/MF switch on them. The camera has a MF/AF switch near the lens mount. If you want AF, all of these should be set to AF. You can also change AF settings by hitting the button at the back of the camera (Info? AF?) or in the Menu. You can switch AF in the info menu, like whether you want centre point, auto select AF point, manual select AF point, etc.
There is also a AF lock button on the back of the camera (you should be able to press and hold it with your thumb, think it says AE-L). You can change its function in the menu, but I think that by default it locks focus. So you can AF by half pressing the shutter, and then you hold the lock button and press the shutter again and this time it won't AF - it will keep the focus at the same distance. You can also disable AF at shutter half-press and make the AF-L button do the AFinf in the Menu.
Hope this info will let you get the settings you want.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 03-20-2013 at 08:21 AM.
03-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jwmster Quote
Trying to control DOF on a K5 using Av for manual Fstop settings. Didn't work out the way I thought on AF... is there a combination of settings that allows me to use the center spot for AF, then "lock" it to use for the photo? I know this should be simple, but I failed to get the right combo and don't want a repeat. Thanks!
In your menu there is a "lock exposure with af point" option

Thanks

Randy
03-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks. Yeah... have the AV thing and adjusting F stop down. What I don't have is control over focus. Had the front (by the lens) setting to AF... but the other choices are C and then MF. I thought that with AF you could then use the focus point on the back to define HOW it focused, pick a center point and then LOCK focus with the button half pressed. I had the focus choice on the back to the center choice... and thought that would work. It didn't. Does this help? Sounds like instead of trying to get a semi-auto focus I should have just put it on MF, but I think that then means you're twisting the focus ring, right? Sorry to be such a rube... but this is where I am I guess.

03-20-2013, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

If you have the switch set to AF.S, and center point, you should be able to half press shutter button till you get focus lock, and continue to hold button half pressed and recompose.
If you want to use the AF button on the back for this purpose, you may need to program it to Enable AF.

Edit: You probably need to turn Auto AF off. And check to see if Custom Function Menu #15 is set to Focus Priority

Last edited by Swift1; 03-20-2013 at 09:18 AM.