Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wedding?!

Okay, so, I don't really know where this should be posted, but... I am thinking about shooting a wedding from an ad I found online. Now, I have never really done any kind of portraiture before, and the client is on a budget, so I really have no experience in this area, and I do not know if I am going to have a second photographer or not,but I am really curious to know what I should include and for what price? Any help would be great! Thanks!

03-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't do it. That would be the best help I could give. It's apt to end very badly.
03-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #3

Leave it. If you've never done portraits/groups shots/delivered this kind of stuff I honestly wouldn't bother. Weather they're on a budget or not, they'll expect more and more, and the whole thing becomes a headache - not only no the day, but also when editing. More stress than it's worth.

If you want to shoot weddings, find someone who you can assist or be the 2nd shooter - learn from them, and then you'll be able to decide if you want to do one on your own.
03-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Don't do it
I'm afraid in agreement with blackcloudbrew on this, if you wish to go down this route, you need to serve a kind of apprenticeship of sorts.

Get yourself a job as a wedding photographers assistant, or a very closely supervised second shooter, both at this stage will probably be unpaid work. But get a good few weddings under you belt, before going it alone. This way you'll get to learn the ropes and find out what is really expected of you as the photographer on the big day.

It's not easy, it's long hours and can be pretty stressful at times, especially when your first starting out. Remember you can't just go back and do it again, so failure is not an option, you need to have back ups for all critical equipment i.e. cameras, lenses and flashes, that means at least two of each and possible three when it comes to camera bodies.

Also you need to get good insurance covering you for public liability, from being sued if it all goes wrong and your equipment being damaged or going missing.

Good luck, let us know how you get on with this.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-20-2013 at 01:27 PM.
03-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It isn't until July, so that would be a big help, but, I do have time to possibly play around with portraits in the mean time, but I don't know if that'll be enough experience. Maybe try to find a professional, and refer the person to the professional, and in extange, be a second shooter, or just tag along with the professional? Maybe that would work?
03-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Agree with all of above. Wedding photography require good camera skill, fast response/thinking and good people skill. Because of Murphy's Laws, your equipment also need to be in top condition. It will take at least a few outings with a Pro to just get an idea what is is about.
03-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
Okay, so, I don't really know where this should be posted, but... I am thinking about shooting a wedding from an ad I found online. Now, I have never really done any kind of portraiture before, and the client is on a budget, so I really have no experience in this area, and I do not know if I am going to have a second photographer or not,but I am really curious to know what I should include and for what price? Any help would be great! Thanks!
DON'T DO IT!!!!

Seriously. A wedding is a big day in peoples lives. If you don't already have the skills, practising in non-wedding situations is not likely to up skill you sufficiently.

If you really want to do weddings, then you need to start as a second shooter to the main photographer. Learn what needs to be done, learn the skills.

Regards

Chris

03-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I developed my wedding skills first by taking photos at weddings I went to - dozens of weddings. I then I did a a large number of free weddings for couples who couldn't afford a photographer. Then I was cornered and couldn't say no to doing weddings for friends children. I am now starting to feel confident doing weddings, but only when I have my wife organising people and the compositions.
03-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I developed my wedding skills first by taking photos at weddings I went to - dozens of weddings. I then I did a a large number of free weddings for couples who couldn't afford a photographer. Then I was cornered and couldn't say no to doing weddings for friends children. I am now starting to feel confident doing weddings, but only when I have my wife organising people and the compositions.
That's the second-best advice in this thread.

The best advice is: don't do it. Brides have zero-tolerance for anything-but-perfection on their "special day" (disregarding that statistically they'll have 2 or more "special days"...but I digress), which is a huge stress to be under.

This, especially, if you expect to ever live on the same continent as a disappointed-with-her-wedding-photos-bride in the future.

Wedding photographers are, in my ranking of bravery, somewhere just below volunteer firefighters.....if you go through with it, at least make sure that your have a good life insurance so your survivors will be well taken care of.
03-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Lol

03-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
That's the second-best advice in this thread.

Wedding photographers are, in my ranking of bravery, somewhere just below volunteer firefighters.....if you go through with it, at least make sure that your have a good life insurance so your survivors will be well taken care of.

Oh, I though firefighter outfits are just for Bachelorette or Stag parties.
03-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
Oh, I though firefighter outfits are just for Bachelorette or Stag parties.
Possibly....I have never been invited to a bachelorette party, though ...
03-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Judge Joe Brown - Cheap wedding photographer - YouTube
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Also you need to get good insurance covering you for public liability, from being sued if it all goes wrong and your equipment being damaged or going missing.
That's why I kinda mentioned this, as it seems to becoming more popular these days.

I'm aware of one famous wedding photographer, who is damned good, in fact about as good as it gets. Even he has felt the need to put in a clause in his contracts, that's signed by both parties prior to the wedding, along the lines that you can't sue him for more than that the contract value.

If your not prepared to do that, his words are "your not his bride".

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-21-2013 at 05:06 AM.
03-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Don't do it. That would be the best help I could give. It's apt to end very badly.
Agree... Wholeheartedly...

But if you're determined...

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Woj Quote
find someone who you can assist or be the 2nd shooter
This should be the only way you (with your stated experience) get into it... You (currently) have the potential to ruin some poor girls big day and I really, truly hope you can't live with that.
03-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I got cornered ONCE into shooting a wedding - my sister's 'no budget, at another friend's home' type wedding. Aside from the guy was (is) a jerk, I am glad she divorced because she no longer had any interest, or regrets, about her wedding album.

I still take photographs at weddings of course, but not with the responsibility of capturing the whole tone of the event. If my candid photos don't meet my minimum expectations, the newly wedded couple never sees them. Take the advice given above. Find an experienced wedding photographer that will mentor you - and just as importantly teach you how to do wedding photography as a BUSINESS.