More than dust on the sensor?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
03-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, looks like a small piece of hair. Not unusual if you change lenses often.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I see quite a few "spots" I'd say give sensor a good cleaning by whatever method you use.

Neat pic though...where??
03-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If you've never cleaned a sensor before, take a hands-off approach (do not have anything contact the sensor during cleaning). Activate the sensor cleaning menu to lock the mirror up then use several puffs from a rocket blower. That should do the job.

Do not let the blower nozzle touch the sensor. Do not use canned air because that can spit propellant chemicals onto the sensor. Do not use a sensor cleaning swab unless the blower fails to remove the spots.

03-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Contactless cleaning is the best, using a blower as mentioned, however, if it's more than hair, look into either A. Sensor Swabs, or B. The Lollipop(Pentax ECK?)

I've tried pretty much every means of cleaning my sensor, and I've found air is still most effective 99% of the time. (Used swabs, a lollipop, the "Arctic Butterfly[These things are rubbish, in my opinion]"). Oddly enough (But not for the faint of heart), my most successful non-air cleaning was done with a chopstick with lint-free gauze dipped in 99% isopropyl - Got everything off, though, I would advise against doing this unless you're the dangerously adventurous type.(I take it back, DON'T DO THIS. I only did it as I was too impatient to wait 9 days for more swabs to arrive after I swapped lenses in muggy weather)
03-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
Contactless cleaning is the best
With air blowers all you are doing is moving the dust around and forcing it in deeper into your camera. Personally I use visible dust sensor brushes - which use electrostatic properties of the synthetic bristles to attract and remove troublesome hairs and loose dust. I have been using visible dust sensor brushes, swabs and cleaning liquids for several years now. I always get excellent results by using them and my professional colleagues and I recommend them to our students.

Euology, If you think the Arctic butterfly was rubbish then you probably weren't using it correctly. The Arctic Butterfly isn't intended to be a cleaning solution in itself, it is intended for cleaning spots in the field. To properly gauge an opinion on the effectiveness of any serious sensor cleaning solution I suggest you start by use the appropriate tool designed for regular cleaning in the first place. It is also possible you obtained a knock off imitation - if something works very well it is bound to have cheap imitations.
03-21-2013, 02:21 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
I have also experienced the same type of spot at the upper center of the snaps approximately four times bigger in size in my Pentax K-r. I looked for any sign of dust or any thing else on the sensor but didn't find any traces under spot light and magnifying glass. Then fortunately Pentax released the firmware 1.13 which i hurriedly updated in may camera and after that the problem was solved.
03-21-2013, 02:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I got the Pentax 0-ICK. Did the trick. Cost a bit by the time I had to add shipping, but since it can be used many times it is a single payment for a long term solution. It got rid of some nasty deposits on my sensor, and now a year later I have not needed to use it again. For normal cleaning I find the start-up mirror shake is enough.

03-21-2013, 04:30 AM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

If your not confident about DIY cleaning, you could always pop and have it done professionally, they don't seem to charge a fortune these days.
03-21-2013, 04:47 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yeah, looks like a small piece of hair. Not unusual if you change lenses often.
Thanks
03-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
I see quite a few "spots" I'd say give sensor a good cleaning by whatever method you use.

Neat pic though...where??
Thanks, the image was taken at Marquette MI Lower Harbor a few days ago.
03-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone that responded!
03-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #13

+1 on using a blower. It's easiest thing to do before using sensor swabs. I've bought a bunch of swabs but never used them. The blower took care of my issues. I don't think it blows dust deeper in the camera. The worst case scenario is that you're blowing off giant chucks of dust before you use a swab, where you could scratch the sensor.
03-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kjfishman Quote
Thanks, the image was taken at Marquette MI Lower Harbor a few days ago.
I thought that scene looked familiar .... I live 100 miles west of there on Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula.
I understand the tourist industry's stance that snow is white gold, but with it still stacked 5 feet (1.5m) deep in most of my backyard, 'snow' has become just another nasty 4-letter word.
Agate Reef, and click on the link to the current picture. Yes, that's my back door.
03-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Jim,

My wife is from Laurium and I was stationed at Calumet AFS 71 to 74. My father in law lives in Marquette. So we know snow is a 4 letter word but so is heat.