Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here is a snapshot of the 100% crop on Elements.

Attached Images

03-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
Pentaxian

How about the software that came with the camera?
03-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noahdsnell Quote
I am just using FastStone for a quick edit.
Faststone, by default shows the embedded jpeg, but you can configure it to display from the raw.

Settings>RAW Check the "View Raw files In" box and select either half size or actual size from the dropdown.
03-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #19
Site Supporter

At home, on my Mac, I use Xee. At the office, on Windows, I'm using Zoner Photo Studio. Both handle DNG files with ease and I find them each to be well designed and a pleasure to use. Xee is open source. Zoner has a free download with a 30-day trial, but you can often find it totally free if you keep an eye on one of the various deals sites.

03-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe Faststone should work but by default it only shows the in camera rendered jpeg thumbnail. You have to change a setting to get it to render the RAW itself. And from what I read that is slow.

If you are going to shoot RAW you really need to get your back end software in order. Lightroom is my preferred solution and I think it is on special for $99 right now. If you don't have the software support for RAW you might be better off just shooting jpeg. Unless you are going to post process on the computer there is no advantage (and a number of disadvantages) to shooting RAW.
03-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #21

I use Photo Mechanics from Camera Bits on my Mac.
I used to notice artifacts only in the JPGs of RAW images from my K-5 IIs.
I haven't noticed any since the last upgrade, though I haven't been looking at 100% much.
You might want to try out a trial version to see how it works for you. It's great for previewing, organizing, keywording. Keep in mind it's not made for manipulating (beyond a simple crop).
03-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noahdsnell Quote
@Lowell, how could it be a result of JPEG compression if I was shooting RAW?
@enoeske, are you saying that this is normal?
I st my case, as others have pointed out, the blockiness is the result of jpeg compression and rendering.

03-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
RAW viewers work one of two ways - they just extract the embedded jpeg, or they have their own RAW to jpeg converter. You may or may not like how the viewer decides how to handle the conversion. My own preference is to shoot RAW+ as much as I can. That uses the camera's jpeg engine with the settings I have pre-selected (unless I use the camera's AUTO PICT mode). I can then do my previews on my notebook, my netbook, or my Android tablet or ??? before doing any work with the RAW file.

For what its worth, I have the free and low-powered Faststone Image Viewer and Picassa on my netbook - but in addition to those tools on my much higher powered notebook, I have both Light Room 4 and Photoshop Elements 11. Both of those tools, as well as the much more powerful full-blown Photoshop, use the same Adobe Camera RAW module to make the preliminary read of the RAW image. It should look much, much better.
03-22-2013, 12:35 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
How about the software that came with the camera?
The software that came with the camera works fine, but not as convenient as FastStone.
03-22-2013, 12:43 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Faststone, by default shows the embedded jpeg, but you can configure it to display from the raw.

Settings>RAW Check the "View Raw files In" box and select either half size or actual size from the dropdown.
Thanks. Works great.
03-22-2013, 04:24 AM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Always good to see an issue resolved, there's some right clever folk around here, I just wish I was one of them.