Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pixels showing too much?

I am noticing an abnormally small amount of pixels (so it seeems) in certain areas of a photo in which I have taken in the DNG format.It occurs in many images. Attached is a screenshot of one example at a 100% crop. Is this normal??? If not, what can I do to prevent it? I am using the Pentax K-5 II.

Attached Images

03-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What you are seeing is JPEG compression, the K5 is more aggressive than the K7 or K10 in my opinion
03-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You are seeing a small amount of pixels because its a 100% crop. To see more pixels, don't crop the image.
03-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
@Lowell, how could it be a result of JPEG compression if I was shooting RAW?
@enoeske, are you saying that this is normal?

03-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Not sure what you are talking about -- what am I supposed to be seeing in the example?
03-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noahdsnell Quote
@Lowell, how could it be a result of JPEG compression if I was shooting RAW?
@enoeske, are you saying that this is normal?
I'm saying that you don't know what a pixel is.
03-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
@vonBaloney, the pixels showing significantly in the turtle's eye. I am not sure whether or not it is normal.

03-21-2013, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
@enoeske, I know what a pixel is. I know there are less pixels in the frame at the 100% crop. I am just saying that I do not normally notice pixels blending like they are in the turtle's eye. I am not sure whether or not it is normal, or if there is something I can do to fix it.
03-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Ok, blockiness there, gotcha. So if this was shot in raw and converted to tif "losslessly" then you're right, you should not be showing those artifacts (from that). If that is true, that can't possibly be a 100% crop because a 100% crop means a pixel in the image is exactly one pixel on the monitor. But it looks more like compression artifacts -- who converted/how did it become a tif? Picasa?
03-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I'm saying that you don't know what a pixel is.
Or perhaps you don't know what he's asking?
03-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Ok, blockiness there, gotcha. So if this was shot in raw and converted to tif "losslessly" then you're right, you should not be showing those artifacts (from that). If that is true, that can't possibly be a 100% crop because a 100% crop means a pixel in the image is exactly one pixel on the monitor. But it looks more like compression artifacts -- who converted/how did it become a tif? Picasa?
@vonBaloney, I converted it with FastStone, but the same effect is showing up on the original RAW file (along with some others)
03-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What are using to view the RAW? Some viewers only show the jpeg thumbnail not the actual RAW conversion. That really looks like it is the thumbnail blown up to 1:1 not the actual RAW.

Try the same shot shooting jpeg and see if the issue is still there.

What are you using to process your RAW files? Lightroom? Aperture?
03-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Not possible in the original RAW at 100%, so your viewers and converters are not showing you the right thing. In absence of Lightroom or other (that works right), do you have the Pentax software?
03-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
What are using to view the RAW? Some viewers only show the jpeg thumbnail not the actual RAW conversion. That really looks like it is the thumbnail blown up to 1:1 not the actual RAW.

Try the same shot shooting jpeg and see if the issue is still there.

What are you using to process your RAW files? Lightroom? Aperture?
I am just using FastStone for a quick edit. I do not have a copy of Photoshop on my laptop yet unfortunately. I would try to shoot jpeg, but not all images are coming up like this. So I would need to find a situation in which I can tell from the camera that it is having this issue. But I think you are right, I am probably viewing a 100% crop of an enlarged thumbnail. Do you have any suggestions for a good RAW photo viewer?
03-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
I quickly installed a trial version of Photoshop Elements for this specific purpose, and it looks as if the image is coming out much, much better on there. I guess FastStone was just showing a 100% crop of the thumbnail, and converting incorrectly. Such a good program otherwise. Thanks for your help. Does anyone know a good RAW photo viewer (not editor) that works as it should?