Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Hey, I answered you and now you're just sounding rude. I think the lack of serial numbers in this thread is due to the fact that pretty much all sensors will fail in a not too distant future. This is the backside of digital imaging as you can't just change the film. To guess the time estimate to the failure based on a single serial number is impossible.

sure, but there's manufacturing processes and different batches, why do you think some cameras fail at 20.000 clicks and others at 200.000 ?
why some people blow their sensors at two years of use, and others at four? i honestly don't think i'm being rude, different batches of cameras mean different components inside, even if it's the same sensor, other things compromising the sensor might not be from the same manufacturer, so again...
i kindly ask, if it's possible, please insert the camera serial number into the serial number data base here in this forum

Last edited by Akarak; 03-25-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: (spelll check)
03-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Akarak Quote
sure, but there's manufacturing processes and different batches, why do you think some cameras fail at 20.000 clicks and others at 200.000 ?
why some people blow their sensors at two years of use, and others at four? i honestly don't think i'm being rude, different batches of cameras mean different components inside, even if it's the same sensor, other things compromising the sensor might not be from the same manufacturer, so again...
i kindly ask, if it's possible, please insert the camera serial number into the serial number data base here in this forum
Well, still the individual variations in the products due to the production and use will in most cases affect aging way more than whole batch variety, if no major general flaw is reported for the batch. You can have two cameras, from the same batch, and treat them basically the same and you can still get completely different lifetime for them. It's in digital consumer camera's DNA to fail, but the time 'til they do that is random.

I just think it's overly hypochondric to fear for that your own camera is soon to die based on one failure report.
03-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Well, still the individual variations in the products due to the production and use will in most cases affect aging way more than whole batch variety, if no major general flaw is reported for the batch. You can have two cameras, from the same batch, and treat them basically the same and you can still get completely different lifetime for them. It's in digital consumer camera's DNA to fail, but the time 'til they do that is random.

I just think it's overly hypochondric to fear for that your own camera is soon to die based on one failure report.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/217870-pentax-dslr-just-died.html
03-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Akarak Quote
again sir, can you please insert your serial number in the database so other k20d users can check if their camera are prone to failure? the serial number and number of mirror flips would be awesome!

thank you very very much!
You can ask politely, but the OP'er is under no obligation to comply with your request so no need to get mad if they don't want to share that information.

03-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks to all for responding, i've sent the camera to pentax for a diagnosis/repair estimate so now i'm just going to have a glass of wine and not worry till i hear from them.
03-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Write the feedback here when you receive one, I'm interested at least. Good luck and my best wishes!
03-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
yep, i'll do that.

04-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
well here's the update, $516.00 (includes return shipping whoopee) to replace the sensor. They are returning my camera as is, i'm not paying that much to repair a camera that can be replaced with a better, updated model for a couple hundred more.
04-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Ouch! I hope you find a reasonable upgrade instead. You can always sell the K20D as defect for replacement parts or to somebody wanting something to experiment on.
04-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kjacks Quote
well here's the update, $516.00 (includes return shipping whoopee) to replace the sensor. They are returning my camera as is, i'm not paying that much to repair a camera that can be replaced with a better, updated model for a couple hundred more.
Well, there ya go! Welcome to the world of consumer electronics. Your camera had a projected life span of about five years the day it was made with a known cost to repair close to the cost to replace. Makes you sort of feel good about the world doesn't it.

Steve

(...almost all the cameras I shoot with are over 30 years old and the cost to repair the non-electronic models is nominal...)
04-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #26

are you short on cash, are you going to stop shooting?
04-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
ouch is right! too invested to switch brands...so for the last week i've been looking at the K-5 models. ouch! ouch! ouch!
i do still have all my film equipment and the b&w darkroom, just love the digital tho.

Last edited by kjacks; 04-04-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: another comment
04-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

The beauty and curse of digital. I hope you find a good deal and as I said, you should be able to recoup some of the cost by selling it as defective.
04-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
seems a shame that you only get a few short years out of this equipment. i'm going to abuse my next one, its going to look ready for the trash when the sensor goes.
just kidding, i could never do that.
04-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #30
Veteran Member

My K-5 got scratches, dings and wear that exposes the metal shell under the plastic so it will retire in a well used condition.