Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2013, 05:09 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Card reading problem

Hi, I'm new to the forum and 'relatively' new to my camera!! Hope I'm in the right place to ask this?

Have a Pentax KM, card currently in use is SD1024mb. Have pics on it that have been downloaded OK and can be viewed on camera too. Just taken some recent shots and see that the card access light is now permanently on after taking a shot, pics will not enlarge nor can you scroll through them or download onto PC. I am stuck as I am not thoroughly up to speed with all the cameras functions etc. Sometimes a Memory Card Error msg appears when switching on, sometimes not. Somrtimes the last 2 pics will not even show up.
Hope I have told you all, but please ask if you need any more info and I will try my best to explain in better detail.

03-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #2

The best thing to try, If you don't need the images on the card anymore, is go to your Setup Menu and format your card. Hopefully you just have a card error and not a camera problem. It may also be a good idea to buy a new 2GB card. Good luck.
03-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maggieb Quote
The best thing to try, If you don't need the images on the card anymore, is go to your Setup Menu and format your card. Hopefully you just have a card error and not a camera problem. It may also be a good idea to buy a new 2GB card. Good luck.
+1
Also make sure the card didn't get locked before reformatting
03-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Turn the camera off, take the card out and re-insert it may fix the problem.

03-24-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Think it's time for a new card, they're not dear these days, get a good brand from a reputable source, problems should hopefully go away.
03-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think your card is full too, after you transfer the images to the PC, you need th reformat your card. No reason to keep the images on it.
03-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi, I'm so sorry for not responding before now, and I do apologise especially as you had all taken the time and effort to help me, but things just got in the way.
The card wasn't locked or full, but I dumped the old pics as they had already been downloaded, but I'd forgotten about them .Taking the card out and re-inserting didn't work as I'd already tried that several times. Decided to dump the remaining few locked in pics, then took some random shots and same thing happened to the new shots. Meanwhile son appeared who suggested everything you all did! Formatted the empty card and it now works, trouble is would I trust it again??....answer is NO I would not!! It was a back-up card from a side trip to Kuala Lumpur as I was already close to filling 3 other 4GB cards on a particularly good holiday In Asia and Australia.
Think I know what to do with said card now, file under B for bin! Thank you all once again for the suggestions.

03-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by megapixel Quote
Think I know what to do with said card now, file under B for bin!
Good plan, especially as cheap as they are now.
03-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by megapixel Quote
file under B for bin
Exactly the right thing to do.

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
get a good brand from a reputable source
As I said before, just ensure you know the origins or your new card.