Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #1

K5 shutter continuing to fire.

Hi
Hope someone can help?
On my K5 as soon as I switch it on the shutter starts to fire...., In every mode, I have checked the shutter release button..its fine, no images are being saved to the SD card with this issue.
When I remove the battery and replace it, the camera functions correctly for several shots then starts automatically fire again, no error messages are shown.
Has anyone had this issue? Even when the lens is removed it still has the issue.

Regards, Al

03-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Uh, mirror flop?
03-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by almvsalutay Quote
Hi
Hope someone can help?
On my K5 as soon as I switch it on the shutter starts to fire...., In every mode, I have checked the shutter release button..its fine, no images are being saved to the SD card with this issue.
When I remove the battery and replace it, the camera functions correctly for several shots then starts automatically fire again, no error messages are shown.
Has anyone had this issue? Even when the lens is removed it still has the issue.

Regards, Al
The infamous mirror flop syndrome.
It is a faulty main board (mother board), my K5 developed this fault (Pentax know about it). Some of the early main boards had a bung part in it.
Had mine replaced under warranty, since then everything is fine.

Greetings
03-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
klh
Site Supporter

Yep, sounds like mirror flop. My K-5 is in the shop right now for that very thing.

03-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter

The early K-5 production models had among other smaller problems two really bad problems. They were: sensor stain, where some cleaning fluid was trapped between the sensor surface and the AA filter which showed up as a string of pearls roughly across the middle of the sensor. The other was the aforementioned mirror flops.

Both were acknowledged, albeit late, by Pentax and repaired under warranty.

Greetings
03-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
The early K-5 production models had among other smaller problems two really bad problems. They were: sensor stain, where some cleaning fluid was trapped between the sensor surface and the AA filter which showed up as a string of pearls roughly across the middle of the sensor. The other was the aforementioned mirror flops.

Both were acknowledged, albeit late, by Pentax and repaired under warranty.

Greetings
Thanks everyone for the advice, I have returned my K5 to Pentax UK for repair.

Al
03-27-2013, 02:33 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Hope they don't keep you deprived too long.
03-27-2013, 02:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by almvsalutay Quote
Thanks everyone for the advice, I have returned my K5 to Pentax UK for repair.

Al
Hi
Just for the record it would appreciated if you could tell us the outcome when the cam is returned.

Greetings

03-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is one, I'd like to hear the follow-up on, too. Had a similar snag with the KD10 but, never heard of the problem on a K5, 'til now.
03-31-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RyukyuMike Quote
This is one, I'd like to hear the follow-up on, too. Had a similar snag with the KD10 but, never heard of the problem on a K5, 'til now.
This is a common problem on a K5, it reached epidemic proportions in mid to late 2011, or a least it seemed that way where barely a day would go by before a new report of a flopping k5 would surface on this forum. The fix it turns out is a new mainboard.
04-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #11
klh
Site Supporter

I got my K-5 back on Friday. Quick turnaround, and so far, no problems! Great job Pentax.
04-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
I got my K-5 back on Friday. Quick turnaround, and so far, no problems! Great job Pentax.
Got my K5 back today, work done by Pentax UK was:
Replaced diaphragm, AF motor and connection FPC- upgraded firmware-check and test.
Everythings working well at the minute.... a one week turnaround even over the Easter Holidays is great service.

Regards, Al