Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-30 Screws Up JPG EXIF Data

This is a continuation of a thread elsewhere, but since I'd been blaming the OGPS unit and not the camera itself, I figured I'd start a new thread and see if this is a 'just me' issue, a 'some people' or an 'everyone' issue.

I'm also trying to decide if its something worth sending the camera back for since its just the EXIF being wacked out and nothing else that I know of.

It seems that my K-30 has been botching the JPG EXIF data since day one for me, it just took me a while to figure it out. The DNG files have been perfectly fine, which is why it took me so long to clue in on the issue here.

As a quick break down, I've clocked about 11,000 images. (using RAW+JPG most of the time).

Of those shots, 6,309 have been JPGs. All but 35 are listed as "UNKNOWN LENS" for me with Lightroom. Those 35 shots that *are* correct are processed DNGs so they don't count. This is a 100% failure rate.

In that same time period, I have 4,853 DNG files (I really need to go in and trim the fat here, yikes...). Of those, I only have 1,282 "UNKNOWN LENS" results - of which all except a handful were shot with the Sigma 10-20mm which doesn't provide accurate lens data to the camera and has always kicked out that result for me.

Do I wait and hope Pentax releases a patch to fix this? It seems like an awfully stupid thing to send the camera in for repairs for since its pretty obviously a firmware glitch of some kind and (in truth) doesn't effect me enough to worry about. The only lens I own right now that supports in-camera lens corrections (the only thing I can see being affected, and even then if its reading the data for the DNG data, it might be for the JPG as well) is the 18-55mm kit lens, and I don't really use that anymore.

I'm looking for a quick and dirty EXIF viewer so I can see if I can spot where in the EXIF the JPG data is getting messed up at, when I find one I'll post a comparison shot between two for the same image so people better at scoping this stuff out than me can look at them.

EDIT: FWIW, my SN is 4402531 and the camera is one of the blue models.

03-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is not a camera problem, but a Lightroom problem. Lightroom needs to be updated with the latest lens information.
03-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
This is not a camera problem, but a Lightroom problem. Lightroom needs to be updated with the latest lens information.
Yes, what version of LR are you running?
03-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This is not a Lightroom problem. It fails in Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS5, Picasa, and Irfanview. I'm sure if I keep installing different software I'll see similar results.

The EXIF lists the 35mm equivalent, but it doesn't show the actual lens size, nor does it list the lens that was used. It *does* list the correct information for the DNG file in Lightroom, which is what was throwing me off for so long.

Last edited by Sagitta; 03-24-2013 at 04:26 PM.
03-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Heres the EXIF file as reported by Irfanview for both the DNG and the JPG of the same image. DNG is first.

Filename - IMGP6179.DNG
ImageWidth - 160
ImageLength - 120
BitsPerSample - 8 8 8
Compression - 1 (None)
PhotometricInterpretation - 2
Make - PENTAX
Model - PENTAX K-30
StripOffset - 104480
Orientation - Left bottom
SamplesPerPixel - 3
RowsPerStrip - 120
StripByteCount - 57600
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
PlanarConfiguration - 1
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - K-30 Ver 1.02
DateTime - 2013:03:23 16:30:39
Artist - John Roberts
Copyright - John Roberts
ExifOffset - 104122
ExposureTime - 1/200 seconds
FNumber - 5.60
ExposureProgram - Shutter priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 200
DateTimeOriginal - 2013:03:23 16:30:39
DateTimeDigitized - 2013:03:23 16:30:39
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 90.00 mm
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Manual
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 135 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
SubjectDistanceRange - Distant view

GPS information: -
GPSVersionID - 2.3.0.0

------------------------

Filename - IMGP6179.JPG
Make - PENTAX
Model - PENTAX K-30
Orientation - Left bottom
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - K-30 Ver 1.02
DateTime - 2013:03:23 16:30:39
Artist - John Roberts
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
Copyright - John Roberts
ExifOffset - 706
ExposureTime - 1/200 seconds
FNumber - 5.60
ExposureProgram - Shutter priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 200
ExifVersion - 0230
DateTimeOriginal - 2013:03:23 16:30:39
DateTimeDigitized - 2013:03:23 16:30:39
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 90.00 mm
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 4928
ExifImageHeight - 3264
InteroperabilityOffset - 54468
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
FileSource - Other
SceneType - Other
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Manual
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 135 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
SubjectDistanceRange - Distant view

GPS information: -
GPSVersionID - 2.3.0.0

Maker Note (Vendor): -

Thumbnail: -
Compression - 6 (JPG)
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 54610
JpegIFByteCount - 7418
03-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Aaaand in that it looks normal. The heck? It still fails to list properly in Picasa and CS5 - so its more than just a LR thing going on.

EDIT: Downloading the latest LR update, I'll see if I'm eating crow here in a few. :-/

That said, all the lenses I use are old as dirt, save for the new Sigma so I don't see where that would be an issue here.

Last edited by Sagitta; 03-24-2013 at 04:23 PM.
03-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just updated LR to 3.6, still doing the same thing. I'll see if I remove and reimport the files if it changes anything, but its looking doubtful. I'm 90% sure this is something camera-side since its causing issues across multiple image programs for me.

03-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
Ole
Administrator

Have you tried the program that came with the camera?

Note that the lens name is not embedded into the EXIF, only a numeric code is provided. It is up to the software to translate that code to a lens name.

For many/most third party lenses you cannot expect the correct name, or any name, to be shown.
03-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Have you tried the program that came with the camera?

Note that the lens name is not embedded into the EXIF, only a numeric code is provided. It is up to the software to translate that code to a lens name.

For many/most third party lenses you cannot expect the correct name, or any name, to be shown.
I hadn't thought of that. I'll go hunt down the box and see what it does.

At the very least, for a manual lens (which I mainly use) it SHOULD pop up saying 'K or M Lens' for whatever I'm working with. That doesn't happen for me, I just get 'Unknown and most of the time have no focal length to work with either, which means if I don't have the (correctly read) DNG siting beside it, I'm stuck trying to remember what I was doing at the time.

Again, its less 'end of the world' as it is 'highly annoying' to deal with.
03-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hrm. I had to go to the Pentax site to grab the software - apparently the K-30/Q/Q1- and K-01 run a different version of Silkypix han is used for everything else. I wonder if thats the source of the issue - something was added in to the JPGs that's confusing other software which hasn't been updated yet?

Or could it just be that Pentax dumped using PEF files for DNG and the difference is for that?
03-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
Ole
Administrator

I do believe that the EXIF format in JPG files was changed with the Q. I cannot speak for the K-30.

Photoshop CS6 shows the correct EXIF for DNG files as well as JPG files from the Q. But it doesn't show the lens name in the case of a K-5 with the DA 560mm. So Adobe hasn't updated Photoshop yet to know about that brand new lens.
03-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If in doubt about EXIF, Exiftool is always pretty up-to-date, and has a good list of all the known lens codes for Pentax.

Pentax Tags
03-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, Silkypix is showing everything correctly. This doesn't help me when I'm trying to do a quick search by lens/focal length though, since that program doesn't actually have a cataloging feature. :-/

I suppose the issue now is 'why can't they update the lens databases?' for other software. Whats odd is that I'd think simply changing cameras shouldn't cause all the definitions to go out the window - by and large all of this stuff is the same I used with the K-x, and that all listed with no problem at all.

@Ole - Yea, I clued in on what was probably up when I had to go the Pentax site to get the Silkypix software.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax:
Thank you for using PENTAX digital camera.
PENTAX wishes to announce the release of the Windows Updater for update the SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0 for PENTAX. RAW data from other than PENTAX Q, PENTAX Q10, K-01 and K-30 camera, data cannot be read.
They must of rejiggered how the EXIF is listed for those cameras and it caused every other bit of older software out there to go PFFFFT. Oddly, the DNG files read with no problems, its the JPGs that are causing mayhem in LR3, CS5, etc.
03-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
This is a continuation of a thread elsewhere, but since I'd been blaming the OGPS unit and not the camera itself, I figured I'd start a new thread and see if this is a 'just me' issue, a 'some people' or an 'everyone' issue.

I'm also trying to decide if its something worth sending the camera back for since its just the EXIF being wacked out and nothing else that I know of.

It seems that my K-30 has been botching the JPG EXIF data since day one for me, it just took me a while to figure it out. The DNG files have been perfectly fine, which is why it took me so long to clue in on the issue here.

As a quick break down, I've clocked about 11,000 images. (using RAW+JPG most of the time).

Of those shots, 6,309 have been JPGs. All but 35 are listed as "UNKNOWN LENS" for me with Lightroom. Those 35 shots that *are* correct are processed DNGs so they don't count. This is a 100% failure rate.

In that same time period, I have 4,853 DNG files (I really need to go in and trim the fat here, yikes...). Of those, I only have 1,282 "UNKNOWN LENS" results - of which all except a handful were shot with the Sigma 10-20mm which doesn't provide accurate lens data to the camera and has always kicked out that result for me.

Do I wait and hope Pentax releases a patch to fix this? It seems like an awfully stupid thing to send the camera in for repairs for since its pretty obviously a firmware glitch of some kind and (in truth) doesn't effect me enough to worry about. The only lens I own right now that supports in-camera lens corrections (the only thing I can see being affected, and even then if its reading the data for the DNG data, it might be for the JPG as well) is the 18-55mm kit lens, and I don't really use that anymore.

I'm looking for a quick and dirty EXIF viewer so I can see if I can spot where in the EXIF the JPG data is getting messed up at, when I find one I'll post a comparison shot between two for the same image so people better at scoping this stuff out than me can look at them.

EDIT: FWIW, my SN is 4402531 and the camera is one of the blue models.
Just a thread on this a couple weeks ago. Jpeg in iPhoto also does not show lens Exif data when using K30. All other info is there, just no
lens data. I believe it's a software issue with iPhoto, not the camera.
03-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by New Englander Quote
Just a thread on this a couple weeks ago. Jpeg in iPhoto also does not show lens Exif data when using K30. All other info is there, just no
lens data. I believe it's a software issue with iPhoto, not the camera.
I'm thinking thats the case as well. pentax added something (no idea what, you'd think EXIF data would be pretty universal) and suddenly everything went belly up for reading the JPG data.

I may have to eat beans for a few weeks and buy the latest Lightroom. I just need to decide if being annoyed justifies the cost here.