Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #1

ME super: can I use "M" lens in "auto" setting.

Hello there,
I recently was given a pentax me super camera from my aunt, I am new at film photography and today have been reading about different lenses to use with this camera. I am now very confused about the difference between the "m" lenses and the "a" lenses. The lens I have been using is the pentax- M 1.7 50 mm. And I of course have been using the automatic setting, being a beginner. But I seem to have read that the auto setting doesnt work with M lenses but only A lenses. Can someone please explain to me, in baby words, if this is true, what is the difference, will my M lens work?

also confusing, when using my camera in auto setting with this lens, the "M" always lights up green in my light meter. Does this mean I should be in manual mode or something? Or what does it mean? I feel like its an indicator that the auto setting wont work with the M lens.

03-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M lenses will work in auto mode with the ME Super. This is essentially Av mode (from DSLR world) - you set the aperture on the lens, and the shutter speed is set for proper exposure. A lenses will work the same way (if you don't have them in A mode) on the ME Super. A lenses allow the camera to set the aperture, which the ME Super does not have the functionality to do.

It sounds like the camera itself may have an issue if it's sitting on M in the display when you have Auto set on the dial

----
Edited to correct DSLR mode equivalency

Last edited by pezmaker; 03-25-2013 at 09:49 AM.
03-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by treetoile Quote
Hello there,
I recently was given a pentax me super camera from my aunt, I am new at film photography and today have been reading about different lenses to use with this camera. I am now very confused about the difference between the "m" lenses and the "a" lenses. The lens I have been using is the pentax- M 1.7 50 mm. And I of course have been using the automatic setting, being a beginner. But I seem to have read that the auto setting doesnt work with M lenses but only A lenses. Can someone please explain to me, in baby words, if this is true, what is the difference, will my M lens work?

also confusing, when using my camera in auto setting with this lens, the "M" always lights up green in my light meter. Does this mean I should be in manual mode or something? Or what does it mean? I feel like its an indicator that the auto setting wont work with the M lens.
The ME super doesn't benefit at all from A lenses, as it can only set the shutter speed automatically, and not the aperture. So it doesn't matter what lens you put on it, you'll still be able to use auto mode You will always have to set the aperture manually using the aperture ring.

This chart gives a good overview of what modes are supported by each camera/lens combo:
The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Hello there,

The A setting on the lens is useless when you are shooting with an ME Super as the camera can not control the aperture of the lens. Later models could do that. The Auto setting on the camera is however quite useful, then the camera will choose the appropriate shutter speed given the aperture that the lens is set to (this is called aperture priority). This works for any K mount Pentax lens except the latest models, some of them don't have an aperture ring and some of them will not cover the full frame of 35 mm film as they are designed for digital cameras with a sensor that is smaller than that. So, set the aperture of your lens to whatever you think is appropriate and the ME Super will do the rest (focus and composition is also up to you!). The 50 mm lens you have should be quite good and you can pick up other Pentax lenses from that era for very little if you want to. The M and K series are usually a little less expensive than the A series but they all work the same way on a ME Super. F and FA lenses were designed for cameras that could auto-focus, they work as well but of course do not auto-focus on a ME Super.

03-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hello there,

If the M led lights up when in Auto mode there may be an issue with that. The "M" led should only light when in manual mode just to remind you. It is a very ingenious metering system and easy to use. Others have already answered your lens query. Please find a manual here:
http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_me_super-1.pdf

edit: another - http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/mf/pentax_me_super_manual_s.pdf

RuiC

Last edited by RuiC; 03-25-2013 at 10:21 AM.