Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #1

Problem with SD Card and *ist DL

I have a Pentax ist DL camera, with a 2 Gb SD card. All of a sudden the camera fails to record pictures on the card. I checked the card in my PC and it is blank. I tried to format it and the formatting worked but still no pictures. The display window shows 670, although it sometimes varies a little between 668 and 670. I tried a different 2 Gb SD card and got the same result. I tried a new 4 Gb SDHC card but the camera did not recognize it at all and gave me a disk error message. Do I need to send the camera in for repairs, or is there something I can do? I lost the USB cord that came with the camera, so I ordered one, which I will use to upgrade the firmware from V 1.0 to V 1.03, but I don't have a lot of confidence that this will solve the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

03-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you format the 2gb card in the camera? The 4gb card won't work because the DL doesn't support SDHC.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

cards up to 2 GB are SD cards, 4GB and above are SDHC and they changed some proticols with SDHC so you need the 1,03 upgrade in order to recognize the card.

In laymans term, SDHC is speaking a language the *isdt DL does not understand, and with the 1,03 upgrade you install that language.

If you've a small SD card that fit the upgrade that will already do the trick.
USB cable will be pretty useless if the camera isn't upgraded.
03-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use your computer to format the 2GB card to FAT 32 then use the *ist-DL to format the card then try taking a photo. If not, buy a new 2GB card .
You will need a standard (not HC) 2GB or smaller card to upgrade the software.
Use your computer to download and copy the upgrade file to the SD card, then start the upgrade by holding the "menu" button while turning on the camera. Just follow the instructions file included with the upgrade.
You cannot upgrade using a cable.