Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Akarak Quote
... damn, it's like i've been researching to fix my focusing problems with my 50mm f1.4 and now people are sugesting diferent solutions... i feel so lost now, and really sad.

i dont know what to do...!

OK ... let me clear some things for you ...

I have a K10D and a K-5.
On both, I have installed "aftermarket" 45 degree, dual split focus screens for only 1 reason - to help me focus easier with my manual lenses.

When you change your focus screen, 99% of the time you will need to change the shim - and this will differ from screen to screen. Best bet is to buy the complete kit and then experiment an see what shim works with the screen you have. You will have to do some testings ...

If you want the split screens for your manual lenses, is nothing bad about it - it will help. But the screen is only part of the picture/story ... screen and shims is the complete picture/story.

03-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
OK ... let me clear some things for you ...

I have a K10D and a K-5.
On both, I have installed "aftermarket" 45 degree, dual split focus screens for only 1 reason - to help me focus easier with my manual lenses.

When you change your focus screen, 99% of the time you will need to change the shim - and this will differ from screen to screen. Best bet is to buy the complete kit and then experiment an see what shim works with the screen you have. You will have to do some testings ...

If you want the split screens for your manual lenses, is nothing bad about it - it will help. But the screen is only part of the picture/story ... screen and shims is the complete picture/story.

thank you, i will look into it
03-27-2013, 02:32 AM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I use Katzeyes on all my bodies, the advantages they give me, greatly out weight the metering and darkening issues, which for me are both workable with.
03-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #19
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as darkening/impact on exposure reading--even with a fast lens--not only m42 lenses are affected. if it is an K or M lens the exposure is taken by stopping down the lens. Only A and post A lenses will meter fully open. This will have a major impact on certain scenarios--for example theatre photography.

It can also make the standard method (M mode, set desired f stop, and use green button) of spot metering not possible--as the light level is below the meter's range. Generally then (with a fast lens) you must meter with aperture fully open, and post metering make the mental (or e.v. adjust if the camera offers it in M mode) adjustment.

03-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I installed one on my K-10D and didn't need to adjust the shims. Autofocus wasn't affected, and it did let me confirm WHAT I was focusing on. With manual lenses, it was pretty nice. I haven't installed one on my K-5, though I have been considering it.
03-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #21

Original Poster
well, i will risk it, becaue i even tried to find shims and i couldn't find 'em for sale.

even if i need shims in the future..i was thinking about this...

i'll be using the diagonal/horizontal screen.. lets say the lines are aligned in the focusing screen but the photograph comes out, out of focus... i know i have to either move a little bit to the left or to the right, at least i'll have a reference for "precise focusing" then i know that i have to turn it a lil left or right... it's better than the stock focusing screen!

about metering... i already do my all metering by head and by the feedback i get from bands and stuff I'm doing a pretty good job for an amateur

Again, thank you everyone for the input and i think this topic can now be closed!

Happy clicks dear pentaxian friends!
03-27-2013, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Akarak Quote
... damn, it's like i've been researching to fix my focusing problems with my 50mm f1.4 and now people are sugesting diferent solutions... i feel so lost now, and really sad.

i dont know what to do...!
Do not get bent out of shape about shims. Start off by doing a straight swap of your screen with thie Pentax prism. I have done both my *istD and K10d and never needed to install shims using the Jin finance screen. I think the issue with shims is more related to two other points. First. Do not take any shims if installed in your camera, leave timely there and install the new screen, itis likely the right arrangement for the new screen, second, mybexpience and anecdotal comments about the need to shim screens is more related to Pentax mirror cameras (I.e. the entry level bodies and not the flagship cameras) install thie screen and use it. If you are still having issues then look for shims, they cost about $6 for a set, and looks for. On lines instructions to make the necessary adjustment. But I have never had to do this.

The dual split image is pretty good and I find more accurate than single split. As to accuracy vs horizontal, this is all relative the split image finder is. Most accurate when at right angles to the image edge, nothing mo nothing less. Rotate the camera a little to achieve this before shooting and it does not matter horizontal vs diagonal

03-31-2013, 10:32 PM   #23

Original Poster
guess what guys? i've made my own... i'll post a new thread later encoragins users to make their own. i tested here in my room, with low light and on a tripod, i used the live view to focus a subject... took the shot, without looking at the picture or the focus ring, i turned it all the way to infinite, then i focused through the viewfinder.

it's not perfect but it's like 100 times better then the stock screen. i think i need those shims, hopefully later i can make sample shots and someone can help me out as i need to know if i need to reduce the shim or increase it, it's time for bed i'll post it tomorow

thank you all.. 'am very happy and will try this tomorow in broad sunight
04-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #24

Jinfinance split focusing screen works well !

With Pentax (28 mm, 50 mm, 35-105 mm f/3.5), Kiron (28 mm f/2), and Tokina (17 mm, f/3.5) manual lenses in the 'arsenal' , I really spent time weighing various options for changing the focusing screen for my K-5. At one point when I had prepared myself to order Katzeyes, it had stopped taking orders. By the time they started taking orders again, I had already changed my mind and had placed order for Jinfinance 45 degree, dual split focus screens.

The order arrived with some delay, but nothing unusual where I am now. The package contained two tweezers - both made of metals but one having rubber 'gloves'. The one with rubbercover was not very useful as the tips were rather blunt demonstrating some imprecise engineering. The one with metal end was, however, good enough to open the latch and also to put the screen in place.

It took me some more time to put the screen in place as the retainer came out when I put a bit more force. Once I was able to put back the retainer in place, putting the new screen was easy.

I went out testing the new screen today. It worked perfectly. As the lenses I have range from f/1.4 to f/5.6, my test were limited to that and it worked extremely well in that range - without shims. This is also what Jinfinance had told me: no problem up to f/5.6 and usually no shims required.

Now with a very limited investment, I have the focusing screen equivalent of Pentax ME Super with which I started my journey!

Last edited by Shyam Khadka; 04-06-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: To mention which camera