Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #16

Original Poster
The second test I did on green mode, with no flash.

The Pentax is shooting at 1/100, F5.6, ISO 800, and the histo is a little skewed to the dark (first pic)

The Canon is shooting at 1/60, 2.5, ISO 200, and the histo is pretty even (second pic)

The Canon seems much sharper, but it is a prime and the aperture is wider, so could that be why? Also, the AWB on the Canon is more pleasing to me.

I think the times I get frustrated are when I am shooting indoor events for family and friends and am too far from the subject, so I guess the flash is to blame. I also may be a little picky, I shot a bit of my friends wedding in February and she absolutely adored the shots.. I on the other hand think they are awful! I do have an external flash, but it is old (Starblitz 160M). Not sure that it would make much difference over the built in? Since I already have the Canon, I can just use that in a pinch for indoor when I don't have time to play with the settings. In the meantime I will practice with it and keep learning! I really want to be a better photographer

Thanks again for your help!

I have attached a couple of my favorite outdoor shots from my Pentax

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try switching the Metering mode to "Multi-segment metering"; see manual at page 142.

The EXIF data indicate that you are using Center-weighted which may explain the underexposure. You have a bright white subject in the center and the camera tries to expose at 18% gray with emphasis the center area.
04-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #18

Original Poster
Awesome Thanks! Does this one look better?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo