Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Need help with my K-X

After a few cold months I decided last night to try out my new 500 mm with the coverter at 1000mm to take pictures of the full moon. I was using the screen instead of the view finder to focus on the moon, and I had two issues. One I could not zoom in on the shot with the dial to focus and I had to close the mirror to take the shot and I could not take the pictures in the screen mode. I had the camera in manual mode because the lens and converter are both manual. I have been taking pictures for a while but I am new to this camera and Digital photography and I am slowly discovering a whole new world of photography.

Due to surgeries in both eyes, it is very difficult for my to set the diopter for the view finder and take shots with manual focus lenses so I try to use the screen instead to focus and I try to zoom in on the subject to focus in as accurate as possible. I hope to get an answer before night fall in a few hours so I can give it another shot today while the moon is still visible.

Thanks for helping me out.

03-27-2013, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not sure this is what you are asking, but zooming in in live view is done by pressing the Info button. To go back, you'd have to press Menu.
Why couldn't you take the picture from live view?
03-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks

My issue is not being able to take the picture in live view. When I press the button for the shot it will close the mirror, but no shot is taken. Thanks for the zooming in part I will try it again. I took a few shots after focusing with the live view but then had to switch back to take the shot. However I thought I was able to take the picture in the live view but somehow it did not work. I will dive into the manual to see where it takes me. Thanks for helping.
03-27-2013, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Randolph Arends Quote
Due to surgeries in both eyes, it is very difficult for my to set the diopter for the view finder and take shots with manual focus lenses so I try to use the screen instead to focus and I try to zoom in on the subject to focus in as accurate as possible. I hope to get an answer before night fall in a few hours so I can give it another shot today while the moon is still visible.
I'm sorry I've got no fixes in the short term but it sounds like the K-01 would be a much better camera for you in the long-term mate...

03-27-2013, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe it doesn't think you're in focus? The moon fools AF sensors frequently. For most people it is too small in the frame for the sensors, but at 1000mm, it should be big enough. The sensors may not detect enough contrast if they are only seeing the moon's surface. Mirror lenses are often bad at contrast anyway. The moon may move across the frame too quickly at 1000mm for the sensors to decide. I would turn the AF-MFswitch to MF just before shooting, see if that works.
03-28-2013, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
turn the AF-MFswitch to MF
+1, I was going to suggest the same thing try it on manual focus, good luck tonight.
03-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you

Thanks for the hints. I scaled down to a manual 135mm lens and practiced with the cat and it worked fine took some shots with the lens and was able to press the info button to bring in the image to focus better. In all got some pretty decent shots with that. Tonight I will try out with the other lens.

Thanks

03-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #8

Original Poster
Ok here is the deal, I used the manual lenses because after my trip my lenses were dirty and need to be cleaned and/or fixed. The Iris on my lenses are not operating to well and I think I need to have these looked at or just buy new ones. I opted for the latter. Anyway back to taking shots in live view. You have to hold the button in and for the mirror to go down and the shutter to release. I was only waiting to hear the one click and was not waiting to hear the shutter release to work. That solves this and I am a happy person now.