Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

no pentax lens extended warranty?

I just got a k-01 and got the pentax extended warranty. Do I understand right that this extended warranty does not cover the lens in the kit, and there is no pentax extended warranty available for lenses?

03-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup I believe that's right, no long warranties for lenses. Retailers such as B&H and Adorama do offer third-party warranties for 2, 3, or 5 years, however.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Inactive Account

You may ask from the store you bought the lens, they might give you a break...
03-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jtech Quote
You may ask from the store you bought the lens, they might give you a break...
I'm not sure if an aftermarket one would cover just the lens as it came in a kit with the camera. I already got the pentax one for the camera (couldn't pass it up for $20). Its not a big deal if I don't get one on the lens. It was just a minor annoyance to find out that it didn't and find out you have to send them a $20 to cover return shipping. I guess you are out about $50+ to use the warranty once (original cost, plus the shipping costs). I guess you could look at it as $50 for the free checkup and a free warranty that will cost $30+ to use each time. Considering the cost of repairs, its not to bad for the upfront cost of $20.

03-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
fyi on a $1000 camera it sounds great, on a $300 camera not so great but still good I guess.
03-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah I also bought the extended warranty for my K-01's .... not sure if that was the best "investment". One rationale that I keep telling myself is that it is the perceived "value" of the body, rather than the actual price that I paid that matters -- and my feeling is the K-01 is worth more than $300.

So much so, that I bought a second K-01.

And yes, silly me, I actually bought the extended warranty twice, one for each body. If I bought both K-01's at around the same time, I guess I could have just bought one warranty and used it for whichever one broke (which is unlikely to begin with, as warranties go).
03-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Yeah I also bought the extended warranty for my K-01's .... not sure if that was the best "investment". One rationale that I keep telling myself is that it is the perceived "value" of the body, rather than the actual price that I paid that matters -- and my feeling is the K-01 is worth more than $300.

So much so, that I bought a second K-01.

And yes, silly me, I actually bought the extended warranty twice, one for each body. If I bought both K-01's at around the same time, I guess I could have just bought one warranty and used it for whichever one broke (which is unlikely to begin with, as warranties go).
I think its worth it for $20. In the end, thats all you are required to pay if you don't ever use it for anything. That is a lot less that you would pay for an aftermarket warranty and while they cover more (accidental damage), then tend to have a lot of exclusions. They are in the business of warranties (can not lose money on repairs) where with pentax, they make their money off the equipment (they will just fix it without or at least less concern if they are loosing money on the warranty cost).

I don't know for sure if it does, but if the one free checkup includes a cleaning/tuneup kind of service, that is certainly worth another $30 (do it towards the end of the warranty). It lest you make certain there are no problems right before it goes out of warranty which sounds nice. I was just a little annoyed at the extra costs and not covering the lens (which does have the 1 year). If the checkup service is of interest to you, then it might be good you got 2.

The perceived value is a little less to me (not less than $300 but certainly less than their original price). I would much rather have a k-30 so I put its value at much less than that. I'm not sure if you got kits, but the perceived cost I paid is less than $300 too though (to me). I paid $360 with the 40mm (and I have no AF primes so it was nice to get one though I didn't need it). The 40mm's are selling for $150-200 new, pulled out of k-01 kits on ebay. I figure new with warranty, the 40mm is worth about $200 of it so the camera was really only $160 ($230 if you split the $140 savings on a $200 lens and a $300 camera which is still a steal).

If you don't use it, $20 isn't much for the piece of mind.

03-28-2013, 02:38 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
On the plus side, lets hope that you never need to call on the warranty, enjoy your photography and your new camera.