Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

firmware update...Need Help

Need help...bought a K-5 and it currently has firmware 1.01. So I need to update to 1.14, but I am confused...can I update/download directly to the camera via USB or do I download to computer then put it on my SD card...and then what?

Thank Yo ahead of time for all and any help!

Frank

03-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!
Here is what you do:
1) You download the correct file from the Pentax website. Extract/run the exe file on your computer. There is a readme, so read it. It is actually very detailed.
2) Once you extract everything, there will be a .bin file.
3) Put a fully charged battery into your camera. Go to menu, and format the card (everything on the card will be deleted). Turn the camera off.
4) Put the .bin file on the card. (you should probably use a card reader)
5) Put the card into the camera and follow the instructions in the readme.
6) Once it starts updating the firmware, just wait. Give it time. It can take a few minutes. Don't give up.
7) After it finishes, turn the camera off. Delete the .bin file from the card.

You can read more here, everything from "Preparation" onwards:
http://pentaximaging.com/support/download-details/443
I think there are also some videos on youtube that show it being done and many threads (like this one) with this same question, so feel free to look around. The first time I did it I was pretty nervous, but its not that difficult

Make sure you download the right firmware for your camera. K-5 is not the same as K-5II.
Oh, and you can't just download staright from the internet to the camera. You need to download, extract on your computer, and then put just the bin file on a formatted card.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 03-28-2013 at 08:22 AM.
03-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Welcome!
Here is what you do:
1) You download the correct file from the Pentax website. Extract/run the exe file on your computer. There is a readme, so read it. It is actually very detailed.
3) Put a fully charged battery into your camera. Go to menu, and format the card (everything on the card will be deleted). Turn the camera off.
6) Once it starts updating the firmware, just wait. Give it time. It can take a few minutes. Don't give up.

Downloads & Literature - PENTAX Imaging USA
I think there are also some videos on youtube that show it being done and many threads (like this one) with this same question, so feel free to look around. The first time I did it I was pretty nervous, but its not that difficult

Make sure you download the right firmware for your camera. K-5 is not the same as K-5II.
Oh, and you can't just download staright from the internet to the camera. You need to download, extract on your computer, and then put just the bin file on a formatted card.
Got it...finished w/no problems...Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!
03-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fnflying Quote
Got it...finished w/no problems...Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!
Yay! Enjoy your camera

03-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #5

Very helpful post! I also thank you!
03-30-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome!
Here is what you do:

Oh, and you can't just download straight from the internet to the camera. You need to download, extract on your computer, and then put just the bin file on a formatted card.
Very nice synopsis. Maybe it can be made into a "sticky" for others to find easily.
03-30-2013, 04:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a K5 but have not updated the firmware as yet. What "problems" does this update correct? The camera seems fine the way it is.

Tom G

03-31-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
I have a K5 but have not updated the firmware as yet. What "problems" does this update correct? The camera seems fine the way it is.
Follow the link I posted to the Pentax website, it lists all the things Pentax admits to updating/changing. But (all brands do this) there might be some silent updates, some things the firmware update may fix without them officially admitting it. Firmware updates usually address things like compatibility with SD cards, lenses, etc. They can also improve things like AF, especially the CD AF in live view).
Btw, you only need the newest update, it includes all the previous ones.
03-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #9

Welcome!
Here is what you do:

Yet I STILL don't know how to transfer the update from the computer to the sd card. IMac.
03-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by New Englander Quote
Yet I STILL don't know how to transfer the update from the computer to the sd card. IMac.
Here is what a quick search found:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/214878-...e-sd-card.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/1681...tware-mac.html

Maybe this will help. Probably people had your question before and it may have been answered. I don't have a Mac, so I can't give you more detailed instructions myself.
Oh, and I think there is a separate download for windows and mac? Not sure, but get the right one for your system