Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #1

K-7 FIRMWARE Version 1.12 KILLED MY CAMERA

This was my third firmware update that I have done,followed everything to the letter but update stalled out about 3/4 of the way and wouldn't go any further,waited 20 minutes but I had to shut it off or eventually the battery would have run out.Held down the menu button and powered it up while still holding the menu button and nothing!,camera is now useless as I think the files were corrupt from Pentax Canada...really pissed off right now as money is tight and I am without a camera.

03-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you format the card in the camera? Did you use a recharge battery?
Actually if you have really bad luck every kind of transfer of the file, download or to the card etc, can corrupt a file.
03-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am sorry to hear your trouble and VisualDarkness pointed nicely some key points.

+Your camera battery must be fully-charged before you start any firmware update. See Pentax instructions and several threads at PF.

+It is best to format the card in-camera. See several thread at PF.

+When you transfer the file, are you sure that your computer was virus-free and malware-free? I had one case when my computer was affected with a malware. Thankfully, I was suspicious and I run a malware removal software in my computer and later in the card. (I use Malwarebytes Anti-malware whcih is free.) There was indeed a malware threat in the card and I am glad that I killed it before.

Since you problem , have you tried to reset the camera?
03-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

At least it should be an easy fix for the service center if you don't find any solution to this yourself.
My best wishes and I hope it comes back to life!

03-30-2013, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Try removing the battery for a while.

I had a problem earlier this week with a corrupted K-5 firmware V1.14 download from Pentax Japan. In the end, I had to download from the US.

However, the camera detected the file was corrupt and didn't proceed. On one occasion, the screen stayed black and I had to remove the battery to reset it all.
03-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice ideas for things to try but most likely none of them will do any good. I had the same thing happen with my K7, cost me around US$ 300.00 for a new main-board.
03-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
US$ 300.00 for a new main-board
I'm interested how on earth does firmware upgrade cook a main board?

Kinda makes upgrading a possible scary option.

03-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #8

Original Poster
...Thanks folks for all the replies!.The battery was fully charged,I reformatted the card prior to putting the firmware update on it just like I have in the past.I don't think its entirely possible to confirm if I did or didn't have any malware issues but I use Kaspersky, which is up to date and have not had any trouble thus far on anything from a malware point of view.I can tell you it will be the "last" firmware update I will ever do with Pentax for sure.This should not end in a dead camera or a cooked main board any more than dying from putting on a Band-Aid???.Really dis-couraged!
03-30-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I'm interested how on earth does firmware upgrade cook a main board?

It sure does. I updated the FW in a K-5 the day after the K-7 died. The update went without a hitch.
03-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I can't see why a service center would't be able to hook themselves up directly to the memory components to load a new firmware. I mean, hackers have been doing that to unbrick faulty hacked phone models for years now.
03-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #11

Original Poster
Agreed!
03-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
My k-30 is running the original firmware. I am just not sure updating is worth the gamble at this time. I did update my DL when it was time. but it was old in camera years
03-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #13

Original Poster
...A k-30 would make a great paper weight also!!!
03-31-2013, 07:08 AM   #14
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
My k-30 is running the original firmware. I am just not sure updating is worth the gamble at this time...
I would definitely recommend to update the firmware. On the K-30, there have been some substantial improvement of the CAF and overal stability:
Latest K-30 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

All do justify to update the firmware. (You can directly jump to the latest firmware (v. 1.03) which combines all the previous updates at once.

Just read carefully and follow the instructions.
03-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The risk of anything happening when upgrading is pretty darn low, probably way lower than you accidentally dropping the camera or mechanical failure.