Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter

k5 AE-AF lock / 11point vs 77

so i found a few threads about this, but nothign that answers my technical question.

on my k5, the center focus point and center exposure works perfectly.
but when i link AE to AF so i can have the camera expose to say, teh far left focus point, i usually get an over/underexposure if teh BG is dark/bright.

i assume this is because the AF points on the sides are large rectangles versus the small precise center AF point, and as such, the ae finds an average of the entire af area, correct?

i had hoped that with 77 segment metering the meter points would engage only in the in focus area of the shot, but perhaps this is not possible?
can someone explain how the focus points and metering poitns are connected exactly and if there are any more accurate ways to link the two other than "mean value of total AF rectangle"

03-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #2

Link AE to AF works in multi segment metering by giving more weight to the selected focus point.This is up to +- 0.5 EV vs. normal multi metering. So it is not like spot metering.