Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What is this ...? photo attached

Happy Easter.

I was snapping photos of my daughter as she ate some watermelon. I noticed a weird bordering in the photo, that seems to have been caused by the window behind her. What is it? Is there a technique I can use to avoid in the future?

Photo's taken with a k10d w/ a Pentax F35-70 [3.5-4.5]. Metz flash was on as well.

[first image]: See around her arm and the watermelon.

[second image]: This photo was taken minutes after Mya's She-ra moment. Nothing out of the ordinary here:

I have these in my album, but have no idea how to link to them there.

Appreciate your help.

Thank you. matt

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that might just be a shadow, unless the photo's been processed.

To insert album photos, click on the [insert album photos] link in the advanced editor, or the icon in the quick reply editor.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thank you adam. It seems like a shadow on the one side, but on the other side there is a white outline. No post-processing. Taken as jpg and posted as seen.

strange regarding the photo attachment. I searched and found the stickied thread on how to attach photos. Still did not work for me. Thank you for the explanation though.

Last edited by Matt; 03-31-2013 at 09:59 AM. Reason: spelling
03-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

LOL the first photo is awesome, looks like she is celebrating the successful hunt!
Could it be just fringing? Check the 100% size and look at the colours of the "border." Also, do you have shadow or highlight correction enabled?

03-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

flash and window glass often don't marry well.
03-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You sure that isn't just a reflection of a whitish door behind you? Looks like a light switch on one side.
03-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My first guess is that the camera has highlight/shadow correction going on and its effecting the image. Do you have a RAW file of the shot? It may be useful to compare the two to see if the strangeness exists in the RAW as well. If it doesn't exist in the RAW then the camera probably tried thinking for you and you wound up with that end effect.
03-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Those look like halos caused by excessive sharpening. I'm guessing these are jpegs out of the camera where it applied too much sharpening. You can turn down the degree applied to avoid in future.

03-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That first shot is wonderful! "I am Mya, hear me roar" to paraphrase the Helen Reddy song.
03-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I do that very pose but with bacon.
03-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Those look like halos caused by excessive sharpening. I'm guessing these are jpegs out of the camera where it applied too much sharpening. You can turn down the degree applied to avoid in future.
Winner winner chicken dinner.
I had just recently tweaked my sharpening and I believe a little contrast. I will place back to neutral. Thank you. I would have never guessed.

The first picture is one that we will show mya when she is older and have a good laugh at.

Thank you all for your ideas and feedback. Fabulous community.

sincerely, matt
03-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Matt Quote
The first picture is one that we will show mya when she is older and have a good laugh at
My wife says that one should be saved to show her fiance the first time you meet him.
03-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Matt Quote
Winner winner chicken dinner.
I had just recently tweaked my sharpening and I believe a little contrast. I will place back to neutral. Thank you. I would have never guessed.

The first picture is one that we will show mya when she is older and have a good laugh at.

Thank you all for your ideas and feedback. Fabulous community.

sincerely, matt
No worries sharpening alogrithims just add contrast either sides of edges to create an illusion of sharpness; it makes the lighter side a bit lighter, and the darker edge a bit darker. Very hard to undo, very easy to add later "in post" so generally you should err on the low side.
03-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Had a peak at my menu. I was one notch away from the highest setting. I could say that I'll recreate the shot to confirm that the settings were the issue, but that may prove to be quite difficult.

Have a grea tonight and happy shooting.

Cheers matt